How fast will firkin warm up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubbelDach

Reaction score
OK, so I have a pin full of IPA. It's a stainless steel pin which is 4.5 U.K. gallons. It contains 4 standard gallons of IPA and a 1 oz. sack of Cascade leaf hops. I placed it in the fridge a few days ago, so it's 40 degrees fahrenheit.

I am going to remove the pin at some point tomorrow and put it in it's serving place (my basement bar) which is about 68 degrees fahrenheit.

What I need to know is, how long until it reaches ideal serving temperature of about 50-55 degrees fahrenheit? We plan to tap it at about 8pm.

I f'n love science. Just can't perform it. Thanks in advance! :mug:

*I am confused you are putting it in its serving place @ 68 but you want it to get to 52? So are you putting it back in the fridge or on ice?

I am trying to figure out what time of the day to take it out of the 40* fridge and put it in the 68* room so that the beer is 50* at 8pm.

What time do you leave for work? I vote for 20 minutes before that.

8am. And I have a feeling that might be too long. I was thinking I'd have to do it over lunch.

Anyone have some "science" behind this, or is it all just "voting"? :D

It has been a while since I have used Newton's Law of cooling. I am having trouble figuring it out so I quit. Probably 3-4 hours tops.

I'd take it out this evening, and measure how the temperature changes with respect to time. Of course you'd have to take samples because the temperature will change as you pour it into the glass. Then put it back in the fridge tonight, and it should cool back to 40F by tomorrow. Armed with this data, you should be able to judge pretty accurately when to move it to the serving location (if there's any left) :drunk:

-a.

I prefer to serve it a little cooler because it warms up in the glass pretty fast. My kegerator is set at 45 degrees and I've found that by the time you pour it into a room temp glass and hold the glass in your hand for about 30 seconds it's pretty close to the temp you want.

I prefer to serve it a little cooler because it warms up in the glass pretty fast. My kegerator is set at 45 degrees and I've found that by the time you pour it into a room temp glass and hold the glass in your hand for about 30 seconds it's pretty close to the temp you want.

Now that's pretty smart. I am thinking that I'll just take it out at 6pm when I get home. By 8pm it might be around 45-50.... And if we're drinking it for 2 hours.... Well, a few pints in there might be jussssst right!

What time do you leave for work? I vote for 20 minutes before that.

It'll be fine... just throw a wet towel over it if you are concerned.

pigskinp.gif

Back