Made candi sugar - how to liquefy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cugel

Reaction score
Hey fellow biermeisters,

Just made 1.5 lbs of amber-colored candi sugar for a dubbel and had to leave once it was off the heat. I left it in the pot, where it's now a solid sticky mass. How do I extract it from the pot? I think that some low heat for a prolonged time might do the trick? Gradually trun the heat up as it liquefies?

Thanks for any assistance!!!!

Although I'm not sure it would be good for the pot, I also recommend hitting it really hard, it might not be the best method, but it sounds a lot more fun than the other ones I can think of.

I do think your method of heating it slightly and dumping it out would work though, just less impressive.

you could toss the entire pan into your wort during the boil.

:fro:

nah, i'd try to re-heat it.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!!!! Dunno about the freezing and whacking. SHE would have some comments I'm sure :)

I'll stick with the heating and finger crossing unless I hear that this will cause massive and catastrophic internal organ failure. Like I said, fingers crossed.

Slainte!

Not sure if this will help you, but I've made both candi sugar and candi sugar syrup. One way to get it to extract is to add some water to it near the end of the boil or even after it's off the burner. Add just enough water that its consistency changes to something a little less tacky...don't worry about the steam you get when you add the water, just make sure you get the right consistency. That's the key.

Thanks for the idea. In future I'll make the candi sugar during the boil and add at flameout while the candi sugar is still in syrupy liquid form.

Was pleased the way it turned out, has a nice toffee kind of taste. I think I added to o much citric acid - I think I can taste it still.

Cugel said:
Hey fellow biermeisters,

Just made 1.5 lbs of amber-colored candi sugar for a dubbel and had to leave once it was off the heat. I left it in the pot, where it's now a solid sticky mass. How do I extract it from the pot? I think that some low heat for a prolonged time might do the trick? Gradually trun the heat up as it liquefies?

Thanks for any assistance!!!!

If you want to make and keep it as a syrup add a bit more water and a tablespoon of Karo syrup to the pot. Reheat and stir until all dissolves. The small addition of Karo will keep it from crystallizing.

Went ahead and slowly reheated the candi sugar and tuned the heat up all the way for the last 10 minutes of the boil. It poured easily at flameout and I was able to extract (boom boom) all of the sugar from the pot. It even cleaned up easy! Phew. Sigh of relief!

Thanks for the suggestions!!!!!

:mug:

Back