Using molasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beertroll

Reaction score
I'm trying to formulate a mead recipe with just a hint of rum character, so I'm thinking of adding some mole asses. However, I don't want it to be overpowering. Has anyone done this? Any recommendations for an amount to use in a 1 gallon batch?

~1 cup (NOT PACKED) of light brown sugar gave my apple pie mead a nice smooth molasses character. It does take a while to develop in mead though. At least 4-5 months. But it stays as a note and not over-powering. So my guess is that if you were going with straight molasses instead of the brown sugar, it would be a fairly miniscule amount for a nice note of it.

Okay, assuming 3.5% molasses content in the the light brown sugar (according to Wikipedia), that should work out to around 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 teaspoons of straight molasses. That seems fairly reasonable (I was thinking maybe a tablespoon or so originally) to me. Just to clarify, that was 1 cup per gallon?

So if the OP wants a mead with a hint of rum flavour why not just make a traditional to whatever strength is wanted, fortify it with the strongest tasting rum avaliable then back sweeten and age........

Likely a hell of a lot easier than pissing about with molasses.....

I put molasses in every single one of my meads (in varying concentrations depending on style). It helps with yeast nutrients from its mineral content and adds a bold hit in the mouthfeel that is lacking in honey alone, and it's good you ask because a little goes a long way.

I always add a tablespoon to my 5 gal batches of mead as a yeast nutrient (only noticeable to very trained palates).

I'd say 1 tablespoon is low
1/2 cup is medium
1 cup is strong/bold/begins to taste like metal
Over 1 cup I've never tried

If you want a "rum" character in your mead then both molasses and oak flavors are what you want, not just molasses.

When you say you want it to taste like rum, do you mean white rum or spiced rum, like Captain Morgan or Flor de Cana?

Back