Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not overheard but involved and not particularly proud of this, but in my college years the beer to go was Miller Draft from a can, which we referred to as the "Miller Rough Draft".

In our local paper, quoting the brewer.. "Farmhouse is essentially a farmer's beer. It's modeled after the classic Belgian Saison style ale"

Though the writer may have bungled what they said. I also learned later that witbier is modeled after beer with wheat...

Yeah, I don't see much wrong with that but a little over generalizing. For the other It's white beer but it has wheat in it...

It's usually best to have your SAISON smell like animal inerds and taste like manure because that is farm.

I was at Rogue recently for one of their garage sales. Awesome deals available to be had btw. There was a guy whom I can only assume must have been a volunteer pouring samples for the different beers that were for sale.
A gentleman walks up to the volunteer and the conversation went as follows:

Gentleman "Can I try the dry hopped red? What is a dry hopped red anyways?"
Volunter "Uhh, it means its drier.."
Gentleman "Oh! So like a dry wine?"
Volunteer "Yeah! Exactly!"
Gentleman takes a sip "Oh yeah I can really taste it! That is dry!"

Hard not to laugh, and did not bother to correct anyone for fear of making them feal silly but nonetheless an entertaing opportunity to drop the eaves.

I told a waitress one time that I liked 3 out of the 4 beers in the sampler. I said, "I'm a homebrewer but I'm not a really beer snob. That 3rd one just didn't do it for me. Too sweet for the style." She said, "Yeah they malted it too long or something."

This was at a Belgian beer bar with high prices that you would expect the servers to know their stuff.

ardyexfor said:
I was at Rogue recently for one of their garage sales. Awesome deals available to be had btw. There was a guy whom I can only assume must have been a volunteer pouring samples for the different beers that were for sale.

That wasn't a volunteer. That's the brewer that invented Maple Bacon beer!

At a homebrew shop I only frequent out of necessity:
Me- And I'll take two packets of US-05 please
Them- the wet or the dry?
Me- the dry, thanks
:confused:

I was visiting family in South Dakota a couple weekends ago, and we all went out for lunch at this restaurant/bar that had some kind of "retro beer" theme. The walls were covered in 1960s and '70s paraphernalia of Hamms, Schlitz, Grain Belt, PBR, Old Milwaukee, etc., and had a number of those throwback beers on tap. It was like a little trip back to 1970.

When the waitress took our order, I asked if they had any micros on tap.
(The nostalgia of those cheap beers I drank in high school didn't exactly appeal to me.)
She replied, rather indignantly, that "that whole microbrew thing is going out of style and 'classic beers' are now in." I thought I was going to fall out of my seat laughing.

Um, yeah, your retrobrew fad was all the rage for a little while back in about 2009. :p

BTW, they did have Boulevard unfiltered wheat on tap. That worked in a pinch. And the food wasn't half bad, so it wasn't a complete wash.

The walls were covered in 1960s and '70s paraphernalia of Hamms, Schlitz, Grain Belt, PBR, Old Milwaukee, etc.

Grain Belt... *shudder*. My first beer. A friends dad had a bar in the basement, and one day after school we took our badass fourth-grade selves down there and split a can. I didn't touch beer again until I was in college!

I was visiting family in South Dakota a couple weekends ago, and we all went out for lunch at this restaurant/bar that had some kind of "retro beer" theme. The walls were covered in 1960s and '70s paraphernalia of Hamms, Schlitz, Grain Belt, PBR, Old Milwaukee, etc., and had a number of those throwback beers on tap. It was like a little trip back to 1970.

When the waitress took our order, I asked if they had any micros on tap.
(The nostalgia of those cheap beers I drank in high school didn't exactly appeal to me.)
She replied, rather indignantly, that "that whole microbrew thing is going out of style and 'classic beers' are now in." I thought I was going to fall out of my seat laughing.

Um, yeah, your retrobrew fad was all the rage for a little while back in about 2009. :p

BTW, they did have Boulevard unfiltered wheat on tap. That worked in a pinch. And the food wasn't half bad, so it wasn't a complete wash.

You should have just rolled with it and had a PBR or something. It was their theme, after all.

I'm sure that you could get a micro some other time.

Grain Belt... *shudder*. My first beer. A friends dad had a bar in the basement, and one day after school we took our badass fourth-grade selves down there and split a can. I didn't touch beer again until I was in college!

Guess I was just an alky, first one at 9 and dad had to lock them up till I was in my teens. He gave me my first but in his defense he was expecting me to do the same as you.

Guess I was just an alky, first one at 9 and dad had to lock them up till I was in my teens. He gave me my first but in his defense he was expecting me to do the same as you.

Hahahaha, backfired :D I think my kids are the same, give them a sip of an IIPA expecting them spit it out and all they want is more :smack:

Grandpa occasionally asks how my brewing is going. We have a little conversation but he does not want a taste of my brews.

He tells me stories of when he was a kid (grandpa is 89) his father used to ferment beer in the attic of the house. Hot sticky Indiana weather an attic can get well in to the 120's or in the winter below freezing with poor insulation. WHAT KIND OF YEAST DID HE USE!! It perplexes me. His dad was dutch..but the community is french immigrants.
I need to ask more questions..I want that recipe.

I guess this should be in confusing things you have heard about beer.

When grandpa used to drink it was Hamm's

Grandpa occasionally asks how my brewing is going. We have a little conversation but he does not want a taste of my brews.

He tells me stories of when he was a kid (grandpa is 89) his father used to ferment beer in the attic of the house. Hot sticky Indiana weather an attic can get well in to the 120's or in the winter below freezing with poor insulation. WHAT KIND OF YEAST DID HE USE!! It perplexes me. His dad was dutch..but the community is french immigrants.

I'm thinking that great grandpa wasn't as concerned with the quality of the beverage as he was with the alcohol-induced stupors it enabled.

Great Grandpa was just ahead of his time, a visionary if you will. He was making steam beers and eisbocks before they were cool. You go Great Gpa!

[Grandpa] tells me stories of when he was a kid (grandpa is 89) his father used to ferment beer in the attic of the house. Hot sticky Indiana weather an attic can get well in to the 120's or in the winter below freezing with poor insulation. WHAT KIND OF YEAST DID HE USE!! It perplexes me.

Well, your grandpa would've been born during Prohibition, and would've been 9 years old by the time it was repealed, so perhaps his father was brewing out of sheer necessity rather than an obscure taste for fusel-y banana beer. :)

Revisiting the beer classification portion of this thread. This is the beer menu from The Twisted Kilt a Irish type bar that is more Hooters then Irish but they have a decent selection on tap. How many errors can you spot on the menu?

ForumRunner_20130703_141929.jpg

Revisiting the beer classification portion of this thread. This is the beer menu from The Twisted Kilt a Irish type bar that is more Hooters then Irish but they have a decent selection on tap. How many errors can you spot on the menu?

View attachment 132949

Wow... whoever wrote that should be fired. Actually, they should be ruthlessly flogged first, then fired.

Even my yeast are offended, and they can't read.

Wouldn't it be interesting to dissect the brain of the person who typed menu and the person who approved it. I would guess nothing would be found.

"I'll have the smuttynose IPA please"

"Oo! You're brave! I can't handle those dark beers!"

Whoa now...

View attachment 132949

Not even looking at the actual beers - whats up with the catagories?

Back