Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't smoke aromatics--I find them too syrupy--but prefer English blends. My favorite is hard to find these days, Presbyterian Mixture, so lately I've been smoking a blend made by my tobacconist named Sir Winston (the tobacco, not the tobacconist). It is a blend of Virginia, Burley and a touch of Latakia. It's designed to be a rather cool smoke with a mild nicotine kick.

I lol'd.

"Sir Winston! Whip me up some Presbyterian Mixture!!!!!STAT!"

I don't smoke aromatics.. so lately I've been smoking a blend made by my tobacconist.. It is a blend of Virginia, Burley and a touch of Latakia. It's designed to be a rather cool smoke with a mild nicotine kick.

Sounds prett good!

Really feel like having my Mr. Brog pipe tonight but it's so damn cold out!

Had to come show you guys my new pipe! I wasn't in the market but my wife surprised me for Valentine's Day, along with an ounce of Virginia 1! Every now and then she really surprises me... No idea how she picked up the fact I wanted to try that tobacco, and the pipe is exactly my style.

ForumRunner_20130218_191712.jpg

Can't wait to smoke it!

rifraf said:
Had to come show you guys my new pipe! I wasn't in the market but my wife surprised me for Valentine's Day, along with an ounce of Virginia 1! Every now and then she really surprises me... No idea how she picked up the fact I wanted to try that tobacco, and the pipe is exactly my style.

Can't wait to smoke it!

Sweet!!!

I smoke a briar with capt black and my wife despises it. But I like it, gives me a chance to think.

I smoke a briar with capt black and my wife despises it. But I like it, gives me a chance to think.

There is a poem I once read about the difference between cigarette, cigar, and pipe smoking.

I don't remember how it goes but cigarettes were for immediate satisfaction, cigars for celebration and pipes for thinking.

The poem explained it very well. I don't :D

There is a poem I once read about the difference between cigarette, cigar, and pipe smoking.

I don't remember how it goes but cigarettes were for immediate satisfaction, cigars for celebration and pipes for thinking.

The poem explained it very well. I don't :D

Is it the one that goes:
"A Cigarette feeds a habit;
A Cigar feeds the ego;
A pipe feeds the soul."

I am wondering if any of you can help me figure anything out about my pipe. It was given to me second hand and I would like to know if it is a good pipe. On the bottom, it is engraved with a large "10", then under it is the word Svendborg, then under that it says "Danish Hand Made." I believe it is briar, but that's about the extent of what I know, any info would be greatly appreciated.

It is a very nice pipe, but it looks like it has been abused. The upper bowl looks burned and there appears to be charring (more than just the usual slight flame licking) around the bowl. Of course, these things may all just be the picture and my monitor. If the wood is in good shape--no burned out areas--then it should be a fine smoker.

I assume it is broken in. How does the cake look? When getting a broken in pipe always look at how the cake has been maintained. It will tell you all you need to know about the one who used it and how they cared for it. Too many people buy a pipe seeing it as little more than an ancient form of bong. They fail to realize that for a pipe to smoke well and enjoyably there is a fine art to caring for it.

cluckk said:
It is a very nice pipe, but it looks like it has been abused. The upper bowl looks burned and there appears to be charring (more than just the usual slight flame licking) around the bowl. Of course, these things may all just be the picture and my monitor. If the wood is in good shape--no burned out areas--then it should be a fine smoker.

I assume it is broken in. How does the cake look? When getting a broken in pipe always look at how the cake has been maintained. It will tell you all you need to know about the one who used it and how they cared for it. Too many people buy a pipe seeing it as little more than an ancient form of bong. They fail to realize that for a pipe to smoke well and enjoyably there is a fine art to caring for it.

I have been smoking this pipe for about 3 years, so it has been reamed back many times. I am more curious about how old is than anything else.

Sounds like a nice Swedish briar. A pic would probably lend you more replies.

Did I really say Swedish? You even mention Danish in the name. :eek:

I'm guessing your pipe is no older than 42 years old but probably younger than that. It has been smoked regularly and the stem, if original is not worn to much. At least the pic you added doesn't look it. Somedbody smoke it each day but there are no teeth marks (that I can see) in the stem. I'm guessing it was made in the 90's but that's just a SWAG. Svendborg Piber was established around 1969. Here's a interesting write up on Pipepedia

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Svendborg

edds5p0 said:
I have been smoking this pipe for about 3 years, so it has been reamed back many times. I am more curious about how old is than anything else.

I was under the impression you had just now received it.

cluckk said:
I was under the impression you had just now received it.

No, but your input was still very helpful as I know what kind of job I have done maintaining it. Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts. I am a bit disappointed that I haven't found a tobacco shop that sells loose blends by the ounce, so I have had to buy the stuff in tins. By the way, Ashton's Artisan's blend is a real treat!

I am wondering if any of you can help me figure anything out about my pipe. It was given to me second hand and I would like to know if it is a good pipe. On the bottom, it is engraved with a large "10", then under it is the word Svendborg, then under that it says "Danish Hand Made." I believe it is briar, but that's about the extent of what I know, any info would be greatly appreciated.

"Svendborg Piber was Founded by Poul Ilsted and Tao Nielsen in the 1970's in the city of Svendborg, Denmark. They Employed Kaj Rasmussen and Henric Jorgensen. This Classic LARGE BRANDY is of the HIGHEST QUALITY and in EXCELLENT CONDITION. A Heavy Pipe with WIDE OVAL Shank. Beautiful Birdseye Bowl. Stamped SVENDBORG 10 DANISH HANDMADE."

excerpt taken from a pipe auction site.

GilaMinumBeer said:
"Svendborg Piber was Founded by Poul Ilsted and Tao Nielsen in the 1970's in the city of Svendborg, Denmark. They Employed Kaj Rasmussen and Henric Jorgensen. This Classic LARGE BRANDY is of the HIGHEST QUALITY and in EXCELLENT CONDITION. A Heavy Pipe with WIDE OVAL Shank. Beautiful Birdseye Bowl. Stamped SVENDBORG 10 DANISH HANDMADE."

excerpt taken from a pipe auction site.

Nice, thanks.

old thread, buried in the deep, I resurrect thee!

apparently if you have a bowl of Captain Black after not smoking any tobacco for 3-4 months, you get a little head buzz.

I love the smell of Captain Black but the taste is something to be desired.
Frog Morton and SPC Mississippi River for this guy.....(and this is where I grab my Poker and head to the porch).

I mostly enjoy a K&B Peterson Pipe. Looks like this:

pipe.jpg

Nice, cool smoke. The stem hole points up and rolls the smoke over the roof of your mouth. Also has a basin for saliva that makes a big difference.

180px-Peterson_cutaway.jpg

Back