Sugar effects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcelher

Reaction score
I never got an answer on if you add. 3 lbs of sugar at 60 and 3lbs at 30 min is different than 6 lbs at 60 mins or 30 mins. Does it have to do with more or less fermentables? More protein? More head Retention?

It won't change the volume of fermentables. Some suggest that you get more hop utilization if you add your sugars later in the boil, though it's likely complex. I can't think of a way in which this would impact either protein or head retention. All in all, it's not going to be a huge difference one way or the other.

it won't change the volume of fermentables. Some suggest that you get more hop utilization if you add your sugars later in the boil, though it's likely complex. I can't think of a way in which this would impact either protein or head retention. All in all, it's not going to be a huge difference one way or the other.

this^^^^^

I hope you are talking about extract sugars. If you are talking about plain sugar, I don't think it matters as the beer will probably be have other problems.

FWIW, I never add all my extract up front. It caused my beer to be much darker than I intended. To limit that problem a lot of people around here add half at the start of the boil and half late in the boil.

So it's good to spread out the extract across the boil like 60 or 30? I see some sugar added at flameout like d45 or Belgian sugar. What's the point of that? So making an IPA. With 6lb Pilsen,1 lb of wheat dried extract. Should I do 3lb at 60, 3lb at 30 and 1lb wheat at 20?

So it's good to spread out the extract across the boil like 60 or 30? I see some sugar added at flameout like d45 or Belgian sugar. What's the point of that? So making an IPA. With 6lb Pilsen,1 lb of wheat dried extract. Should I do 3lb at 60, 3lb at 30 and 1lb wheat at 20?

Much of it is just personal preference. For a delicate beer like a Pils, I'd add the extract late. For a thick-n-musty Scottish Heavy, on the other hand, I'd add the extract at the beginning.

This is just another variable you can control to achieve your target flavor profile. It's not going to make a huge difference, but probably some.

The best thing to do would be to do an experiment: Boil a gallon of water in each of two pots for an hour. Add one pound of DME to one pot at the very beginning, and one pound of DME to the other ten minutes from the end. Then, do a side-by-side taste comparison to see which you prefer.

Yes like you said. I just have experiment with. I bought a bunch of hops. So my first test will be hop. Thinking about adding. 6lb of extant and 1lb of dried wheat malt at 60. Let it dissolve and split it. And do two hop schedules with two boils.

That's why I ask about sugars. I don't want to have any ill effects with the 60 min boil.

Latest posts

Back