Adding fruit to secondary question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
So last week I had my first brew day an APA and added a bit too much water. My OG was about 1.040 and has since dropped to 1.010. It has been in a primary for almost 2 weeks (it will be 2 weeks on Monday). I tested gravity today and the beer tastes great its just a bit watered down. Since it is watered down I am going to attempt to add fruit to a secondary in an attempt to mask this mistake.

I'm thinking Pineapple, Apricot, or Peach. I don't want it to overpower the flavor of the original beer but compliment the flavor.

I've seen various methods for adding fruit flavor. I wouldn't mind the additional alcohol content as well but its not a biggie. Is it best just to buy frozen fruit, thaw out and rack on top of it? I saw a post about cooking the fruit on the stove as well.

What have you guys had success with.

You will not want to heat the fruit because it will release the pectin's. I just add the frozen fruit right from the bag to the secondary and I have never had any issues with this procedure.

I just did a raspberry wheat. I got fresh raspberries washed them, dried them then froze them for 2 days. Pitched them to secondary and rack beer ontop of them. I just bottled that batch tonight. Smelled and tasted great.

I did a strawberry wheat about six months ago.... four pounds of frozen berries blended and added to secondary for two weeks.... very berry flavor. Might try three pounds to five gallons

Would it be beneficial to cold crash before I rack into secondary?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get the best result.

I used about 2 lbs of fruit and a half of a 4 oz bottle of raspberry extract. As far as a cold crash, I would just let your activity fermentation end and rack ontop of your fruit to soak up the goodness.

I cold crashed my beer. I used 4lbs of fresh strawberry's for my strawberry blonde. I washed the strawberries before I sliced them. Then I froze them for a few days before adding them to the secondary. Cold crashed at about 40 degrees.

Back