Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy8

Reaction score
I was wondering what my options may be in reagrds to filtering. I notice that I end up with some real fine particles at the bottom of my bottles even after straing my brew through a fine mesh funnel. I have experimented with paper coffee filters but this takes way to long just to do one bottle, let a lone gallons of it. I like the recipe I have been working with and fine tuning, I would just like to clean it a little bit and maybe make it a little more clear if possible. But at the very least, keep from having the mess at the bottom of the bottles. Any ideas?

Thank you all in advance for the help.

If you mean the sediment in the bottles after bottling, it is the yeast that have fallen out of suspension after digesting the priming sugars. The only way to avoid the sediment would be to keg and counter pressure fill your bottles. If your not already, cold crashing for a day or two prior to bottling can help reduce the amount of sediment in your bottles. But if your naturally carbing and conditioning In bottles you will always have some amount if sediment left on the bottom of the bottles.

Now with some of the things you have mentioned you have sparked a few more questions. :) I have seen priming sugars at my local brew shop. What exactly is priming sugar nd would it be better than regular sugar that I currently use in my brew? What does it mean to "condition" and is it something I should be doing? Lastly, What is "cold crashing"?

Thanks again

Crazy8 said:
Now with some of the things you have mentioned you have sparked a few more questions. :) I have seen priming sugars at my local brew shop. What exactly is priming sugar nd would it be better than regular sugar that I currently use in my brew? What does it mean to "condition" and is it something I should be doing? Lastly, What is "cold crashing"?

Thanks again

Sorry totally my mistake I just realized this was posted in the soda making forum. I'm an idiot I was browsing on my phone and assumed you were making beer. I guess the old addage of when you assume....

Priming sugar is any sugar used to carbonate your beer in bottles. Primarily home brew stores will sell dextrose or corn sugar as priming sugar. Some say it will carbonate without adding any additional flavors at bottling but I never noticed any using table sugar.
Conditioning is just letting the beer age, at room temperature, in the bottle to allow the yeast to digest the sugars making CO2 to carb the bottle also for the flavors to better blend together. Generally the higher the original gravity of the beer the longer it will take to age/condition to best taste.
Cold crashing is taking your fermenter and placing it in a refrigerated space to bring the temperature down to refrigeration temps to cause the majority if the yeast to drop out if suspension making for a clearer beer and less sediment in bottles if bottle conditioning. I Usually allow at least 24-48hrs of cold crashing.

Back