Max mash capacity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
To anyone who uses the ten galon Rubbermaid cooler to mash in:

What is the most grain you can mash in the thing, at what water/grain ratio? I'm just starting 10G batches, and I'd love the benefit of your collective experience.

Thanks!

I like to do a fairly thick mash at 1.25 quarts to each lb of grain. Given your volume, I'd say 25 lbs is optimistic, and 30 lbs is REALLY pushing it.

Here's a calculator that I found posted here -- you want the Can I Mash It? section.

I believe it was Edwort who originally posted this link, if I'm not mistaken.

I just got done building the Rubbermaid 10 gal MLT also and had the opposite question. What's the minimum amount of grain I could mash? Would 5 or 6 pounds be alright? I'm not quite ready for AG. I still need a bigger pot and some way to cool the wort (with my 98 degree tap water:( ) So in the meantime, I thought I'd try a PM. Is there a minimum grain depth if you're batch sparging or doesn't it matter?

Tom

ultralord said:
I just got done building the Rubbermaid 10 gal MLT also and had the opposite question. What's the minimum amount of grain I could mash? Would 5 or 6 pounds be alright? I'm not quite ready for AG. I still need a bigger pot and some way to cool the wort (with my 98 degree tap water:( ) So in the meantime, I thought I'd try a PM. Is there a minimum grain depth if you're batch sparging or doesn't it matter?

Tom

Tom, I've been mashing 4-5 lbs up to this point, and the only problem is that with a grain bed that thin, it's really difficult to pour the vorlauf runnings back in without disturbing the bed.

Someone suggested setting a plate on the bed and pouring onto that, or a pie tin with a bunch of small holes in it. I would recomend trying this as I was getting grain husk after running off ten quarts, and eventually just settled with what I could get.

Back