Tried recipe with pilsen malt and 60L, has an acidic taste....any ideas why??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanoffermentation

Reaction score
Recipe had Pilsen DME, 60L, Saaz hops, fermented with US-05 at 70degrees. This stuff tastes like I added lemon juice...not a ton, just a bit. Overtly acidic fkavor for a beer though. Any ideas where this came from? For the record, my sanitation is solid.

My experience brewing ales with Saaz hops and pilsner malts has been that it does impart a bit of an acidic twang to it in addition to the peppery element. It could be partly that the DME might have been a bit aged. pH of the water might have a part to play. I cant be sure without knowing more specifics. I do think it will age out though. I kept a Saaz hopped saison in the keg for several months before the acidic element rounded off. But I added gypsum to the boil on a recommendation from the recipe provider. That could have played a part. But it did go away with time.

Sure of the temp as I keep a thermometer strip on the primary. Jumps up maybe 1.5degrees when aggressively fermenting, which I always find interesting. It was a partial mash, mashed at 149-151 range. Funny how often the answer is to wait longer then drink another one. Maybe it is a product of the hops as was mentioned. I have maybe 25 gallons of beer under my belt (historically a wine guy) and I'm amazed how many variables there are in beer making. Such a consuming hobby!

IDK. I went through a 55lb sack of pils brewing this spring and never had any beer taste acidic. Never got that from saaz either.

Latest posts

Back