IPA recipe thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castillo

Reaction score
What do you guys think about this IPA recipe I'm going to brew?

3# Maris Otter
1# Rye
.5# Crystal 40L
6.5# Extra Pale LME

1oz. Summit - 20 Mins.
1oz. Amarillo- 20 Mins.
1oz. Cascade-20 Mins.
1oz. Summit - 5 Mins.
1oz. Cascade-0 Mins.

Whitelabs WLP001 Yeast

Not enough hop time. My best IPA's have had 90 minute boils. I like the selection of hops you got though. I would go with cascade for 90, summit and amarillo for 60, 1/2 summit and 1/2 cascade for 5 and the other 1/2's at flameout

I'm going for smooth bitterness with a lot of hop flavor and aroma. Do you think I'll get that with my hop schedule? Although I do like your suggestion djsethall.

Like it was said before, You should add the hops at the start of the boil. What is the AAs on the Summit, 15+?

Just add less than 1oz at 60 minutes if you are concerned about a harsh bitterness.

You should look into First Wort Hopping if you want a smooth bitterness.

Edit:
Oh this is an extract brew, perhaps you can emulate it by putting the hops in with the steeping grains?

I think you will get enough utilization from 20 minute additions to make a fine ale, assuming a full wort boil. But I do get the impression that Summit is one of those high-alpha American hops that I perceive as harsh, oniony, and catty. I'd bitter with a small amount of something more neutral, if smooth was what I was after, and load the flavor and aroma into the last 5 and dry.

What do you guys think about this IPA recipe I'm going to brew?

3# Maris Otter
1# Rye
.5# Crystal 40L
6.5# Extra Pale LME

1oz. Summit - 20 Mins.
1oz. Amarillo- 20 Mins.
1oz. Cascade-20 Mins.
1oz. Summit - 5 Mins.
1oz. Cascade-0 Mins.

Whitelabs WLP001 Yeast

Personally the best IPA i ever made was 100% Amarillo hops. Just a though.

I think that recipe is fine, it's just semantics on what you call it. It will have a smooth bitterness, if much at all, but you aren't loading it with crystal malt either. You'll get a nice punch of flavor though. I once did a single malt ale with 3.5 oz of Amarillo at 15 minutes only and definitely came to grips what Amarillo is as a hop. Mmm! I don't think you'll get much from the rye but then I haven't used it in a PM before and you may have different experience/perception of it.

I think you will get enough utilization from 20 minute additions to make a fine ale, assuming a full wort boil. But I do get the impression that Summit is one of those high-alpha American hops that I perceive as harsh, oniony, and catty. I'd bitter with a small amount of something more neutral, if smooth was what I was after, and load the flavor and aroma into the last 5 and dry.

I think that recipe is fine, it's just semantics on what you call it. It will have a smooth bitterness, if much at all, but you aren't loading it with crystal malt either. You'll get a nice punch of flavor though. I once did a single malt ale with 3.5 oz of Amarillo at 15 minutes only and definitely came to grips what Amarillo is as a hop. Mmm! I don't think you'll get much from the rye but then I haven't used it in a PM before and you may have different experience/perception of it.

I agree- summit can be "oniony" at 20 minutes. I love the amarillo, and the rye. I'd probably not use the maris otter though, unless you have to and it's already crushed. It's too "bready" for a hop-forward IPA in my opinion. I'd use two-row, with maybe a pound of Munich or some victory if you want to provide malt backbone (assuming that's why the MO is in there).

+1 for Yooper

I did an IPA that we called "The Three C's", kind of a take on the voyage of an IPA from England to India. We used three hop varieties. Centennial for bittering, Cascade as flavor hops and Crystal as aroma hops. Boil time was 90 minutes and I got nothing but rave reviews from people who sampled it. I don't know if it was just that it was free beer, but the people who sampled it are somewhat beer snobs or should I say connesiuers? Anyways, they really enjoyed it as did I. It really let out the citrusy/piney notes of the hops. We also dry hopped with Cascades for about a week before bottling it up. That recipe has become a standard to my stable of recipes. Part of what made it popular was the maltiness of the beer that gave balance to the amount of bitterness imparted by the overload of hops. If you want the recipe (it is all grain) feel free to pm me.

Dj

I do llike what the marris otter malt brings to a beer so I've used it in my last two ipa's. My last ipa was an all Amarillo hops ipa with the same grain/malt bill that I posted here. I brewed an ipa with all summit hops once and I did a hop burst of 3oz with 20mins left in the boil and I still got some noticeable bitterness and great flavor and aroma but no oniony flavors that I was able to detect.

I've been using a lot of summit lately and really like the complexity it brings. I FWH and dry hop with it. But I always pair it with something like cascade, amarillo, simcoe, centennial. I like the softer orange flavors to smooth out the strong grapefruit.

For IPA's I personally like to FWH and hop burst. Smooth bitterness with strong flavor and aroma, and no bite.

Back