Let's talk beer glasses...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I like certain styles of glasses....just for the cool factor.

Saw a style that I guess is English--but not positive on the name of it. I believe it is called a nonik....but not sure.

It looks like this:

nonik.jpg

What is the background on this? I typically only see them with English style pale ales....

What is the bulge there for? Aesthetics only?

I thought the bulge (hehe, "bulge") was there to make it less apt to nick if you knocked it over.

EDIT:
From Wikipedia's entry on pint glasses...

"Conical" glasses are shaped, as the name suggests, as an inverted truncated cone around six inches tall and tapering by about an inch in diameter over its height. More often than not, the glass bulges out a couple of inches from the top; this is partly for improved grip, and partly to prevent the glasses from sticking together when stacked.This style of bulged conical glass is often termed "nonic" by suppliers[1]. This is the most common type of pint glass found in UK pubs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pint_glass

I think that they stack better with the bulges, as well as look cool.

- magno

I always heard that one of the reasons was that it allowed for stacking without the glasses sticking together. It's also easier to hold than a straight sided glass.

Note: I've never heard this from a reliable source, so it could be just another urban legend.

Actually the bulge is [also] for hanging the glasses between two suspended rods above the bar.

An English Pub "Pint" glass. Also made by the French. They're hard to acquire. I see them less and less at pubs. There was one place online that was selling them for $8.00 usd a glass. If anyone finds a cheap source for these, please let me know!

Libbey glasware makes a american sized pint version of these for fairly cheap.

[EDIT:] Apprantly libbey makes the big ones now too.
http://www.restockit.com/20-Oz-English-Pub-Glass-Heat-Treated--(14801HTLIB)---ON-SALE-TODAY!.html

The authenic ones are 20oz and come from Britain or france and are stamped with the size on the bottom.

I got one of those 20oz one's Don't even know where I got it from but it's a Bass logo'd one. Nice glass, only I get to use ;)

I thought for a minute you were talking about the kind of beer glasses where the more you drink, the better ugly women look through your "beer glasses".

BeerGoggles.jpg

Damn it. Libbey only retails "sets" to the general public. Not much offered. There food service operators catalog though is very nice. But you have to order those through a distributer and in sets of 36!

http://www.restaurantsource.net/prodDetail.cfm/131343,Pub Glass 20 oz 3 Dz.,MX2

Cheapest I've seen yet. Hey, maybe we could organize some sort of HBT glassware resell thing? And perhaps a HBT english pub glass with the HBT logo on it could be sold to rasie money for the website?

Ryan_PA said:
Beat me too it. I have been meaning to put in an order there for a while.

FWIW, I have always referred to this glass as an imperial pint. I am not sure where or how I picked that up, but I was under the impression that was the proper term.

That's what I thought they were called too. I like the ones with the GB weights and measure mark on it. Tells you exactly how much to pour and how much head you should have.

Ryan_PA said:
Beat me too it. I have been meaning to put in an order there for a while.

FWIW, I have always referred to this glass as an imperial pint. I am not sure where or how I picked that up, but I was under the impression that was the proper term.

In the UK they are referred to as an Imperial Pint and contain the stamp of the royal family as assurance that they are the specified size (20oz). Here is a link for purchase:

http://www.pubglasses.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=BST

I have 4 of these glasses and absolutely love them for drinking my traditional English ales.

Has anyone bought any of these Bodum glasses?:
B000A5CLAW.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V51582883_-thumb.jpg

I have some of the espresso glasses from this same line and they're awesome. But they were on a 50% off sale on Amazon...I haven't seen the beer glasses for that offer and they don't give them away.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Has anyone bought any of these Bodum glasses?:
B000A5CLAW.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V51582883_-thumb.jpg

I have some of the espresso glasses from this same line and they're awesome. But they were on a 50% off sale on Amazon...I haven't seen the beer glasses for that offer and they don't give them away.

I started a thread on those recently....I'm not reading good things about them. Supposedly they are made of stronger glass but are really fragile according to reviews.

Doubt I'm gonna fork out the bones for them now.

jdoiv said:

I've got four of these also, all it cost me was ingredients for a 5 gallon batch of heather ale (and sweat equity in brewing, bottling and transporting).

They're cool glasses to be sure, but I often grab one of my plastic (blasphemy) unbreakable glasses from Target for a pull on the ole' kegerator. Maybe I shouldn't have admitted that-please don't revoke my membership.:D

BierMuncher said:
Leave it to Jim Koch (or one of his minions) to take the beer glass to another level.

View attachment 1532

Got one of these from BevMo the other day. I like it a lot. The glass feels kind of thin, but curves perfectly to the lips.. Damn that sounded gay, huh?

Kayos said:
Got one of these from BevMo the other day. I like it a lot. The glass feels kind of thin, but curves perfectly to the lips.. Damn that sounded gay, huh?

What is the name of this glass? Or can you post a link?

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
I see them less and less at pubs. There was one place online that was selling them for $8.00 usd a glass. If anyone finds a cheap source for these, please let me know!

Any good pub down here in Oz that sells pints serves them in those glasses... really common down here.

And Ive said it before, and Ill say it again... the best way to get any beer glass you like is to take it from the pub... its the aussie way. The pubs in Oz expect you to take their glasses. Sure... they wont admit to it... but they do...

Chrus said:
Any good pub down here in Oz that sells pints serves them in those glasses... really common down here.

And Ive said it before, and Ill say it again... the best way to get any beer glass you like is to take it from the pub... its the aussie way. The pubs in Oz expect you to take their glasses. Sure... they wont admit to it... but they do...

We've bought glasses from pubs before if we see a 'special' one. I think the price pretty much depends on the 'tender's mood...usually under $2.

Now, those little 8oz Guinness glasses are a different story. The wife has a special fondness for those and *hangs head low* usually leaves the bar with a heavy purse. :cross:

I have a few noniks. Got them in 1978 when I was stationed in Antigua, TWA. For 25 cents US each. They are the only Imperial pints I have, even the Pinch pints are 16 oz.

Chrus said:

So true my young friend. My finest glass comes from the local. Honestly who buys glasses

Mustangj said:
What is the name of this glass? Or can you post a link?

Here is the order form from Sam Adams.com glass

It is hilarious that they are selling them for $30 when BevMo has them for $2.50 right now...

Kayos said:
Here is the order form from Sam Adams.com glass

It is hilarious that they are selling them for $30 when BevMo has them for $2.50 right now...

Where do you live? We don't have BevMo here....

Those glasses seem kind of gimmicky but I still want some.

Kayos said:

Dude said:
Those glasses seem kind of gimmicky but I still want some.

Same here...where are they listed on the BevMo site? I didnt see them?

Tony said:
Same here...where are they listed on the BevMo site? I didnt see them?

I can't find them either. I even called BevMo just now and they don't know what I'm talking about.

If you guys who have a BevMo close, could you grab a SKU # from the glass? The lady said if we had that we could order them from the website.

$2.50 for those is well worth taking a flyer on getting some of those shipped to me. :rockin:

Chimone said:
heres my favorite. I have 4 of these .5Ls and love them with all my heart ;)

5484.jpg

I have couple of those a nieghbor gave me from Czeck. Its amazing how small 500ml looks in those. A lot of North AMerican beer glass styles are really menat to deceive the eyes into thinking that 12oz glass is really a a pint.

My other favorite Imperial Pint glass is :
2186-PICT0012.JPG

Sadly...that one is empty.

Dude said:
I can't find them either. I even called BevMo just now and they don't know what I'm talking about.

If you guys who have a BevMo close, could you grab a SKU # from the glass? The lady said if we had that we could order them from the website.

$2.50 for those is well worth taking a flyer on getting some of those shipped to me. :rockin:

If you guys want, I'll go there today (Santa Clarita, Ca.) and get a sku. If you can't find them around you, I'll buy as many as y'all want and ship them for ya at cost. Every glass in BevMo is always 2.50, so I usually pick out a few every time I go. Right now they even have their 5cent wine sale so the stemless wine glasses are buy one get one for 5 cents.

Oh, bummer, I have to go get some good beer today :( . I don't know how you guys make it without a BevMo closeby. Awesome prices, and REAL beer.

Then again, I have no LHBS close by.......my bad, you win

I have GOT to buy some more pint glasses. Down to 3. Between drunk friends dropping them, dishwasher, cat knocking them off counter........ *sigh*

I got one of the glasses you're looking for from Northern Brewer, it's a Samuel Smith logo glass, but has that imperial pint shape. I wanted one bad enough to overpay, but I do enjoy it and right now use it to drink all beer other than hefeweisse.
My favorite glass is also an Ayinger, but it's a weizen glass.
If you come up with that BevMo info please do post, but also, please post the website, I'm not familiar with them.

LouT said:
I got one of the glasses you're looking for from Northern Brewer, it's a Samuel Smith logo glass, but has that imperial pint shape. I wanted one bad enough to overpay, but I do enjoy it and right now use it to drink all beer other than hefeweisse.
My favorite glass is also an Ayinger, but it's a weizen glass.
If you come up with that BevMo info please do post, but also, please post the website, I'm not familiar with them.

Is it this one? I just bought two of these. I like them alot. Too bad they are a gift for my BIL. I may have to buy two more.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/aying-weizen-glass-cropped.jpg

:mug:

Back