white labs wlp320 American hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no_borders

Reaction score
i searched and didnt find much about this strain. i just brewed a dunkelweizen with wlp320 and 3 days into fermentation im very happy with the results i got. i pitched a good healthy starter and primary fermentation went really fast. ive fermented at 62F for 4 days now and there is a nice banana flavor but its very subtle, not too much clove or spice. the yeast character is alot less than most german examples, but i prefer it that way

That is what I have read about the yeast as well. Similiar to 300, but more subdued. Hefe Light, if you will.

Eric

i brewed a hefe with this strain and fermented at 66. the banana and clove flavors were still quite subdued compared to 300. Although it needed a couple weeks for the sulfur to go away.

I'm wondering if going lower (like your 62), will eliminate the sulfur all together. I tend to brew this style when I'm in need of a keg fast.

My macro beer drinking friends and family have really taking a liking to this beer, but I have to say it is very bland and boring.

i never got any sulfur, when i used 320 before i got a real acidic, almost vinegar flavor, but now fermenting colder i haven had any issues. the beers i do with 320 never do well in competition due to lack of esters and phenols, so we usually brew this beer just to drink

It is an alt strain. Widmer got it from Zum Uerige. If you are getting any banana or clove you are doing something odd. Widmer's wheat beer does not have those flavors.

From the white labs web site:

"this yeast is used to produce the Oregon style American Hefeweizen. Unlike WLP300, this yeast produces a very slight amount of the banana and clove notes. It produces some sulfur, but is otherwise a clean fermenting yeast, which does not flocculate well, producing a cloudy beer."

i had a real vigorous ferment so im thinkin all my sulfur got exhausted through the blow off. and the banana flavor is deffinetly very subtle, and i dont really detect much clove. after fermenting at 62F for 5 days i got the results i expected from the description on the white labs sight.

Back