Random theoretical gas question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimirie

Reaction score
So I was bored as I was driving and my mind got wandering and came up with this brainchild. Instead of force carbing with co2, would it be possible to "carb" a kegged beer with another gas like nitrous, straight o2, or helium? I mean, I know chemically, under the right conditions, you can dissolve a gas into any liquid. But would using any of these gasses produce fizz, a nice head? I don't know why it popped into my head but now I can't get the picture of a group sitting around drinking helium-ed beer doing their best munchkin impression all night. "we represent the lollipop guild, the lollipop guild..."

We use co2 because it's a natural component of fermentation, but is it the only way? Thoughts?

For Helium to make you sound like a munchkin, it needs to pass over your vocal cords. If it's mixed in a liquid there is not enough helium there to make a difference. I like the idea though!!

I think nitrogen is another option. I think other gases will absorb into a liquid, but I'm not sure how well any specific gas would absorb and like TonyR, the gas would need flow over vocal cords.

However, I do know that midwest supplies sells a nitrogen.

Isn't nitrogen what Guinness uses to carb their beers?

I think Yuri has used Argon. Guinness uses nitrogen. You could use lots of stuff....but what's the benefit? Unless you're saving money, it's a moot point.

EDIT: Nitrogen/CO2 mixture is what guinness uses.

Nitrogen won't dissolve into your beer. Not at any pressures you'd be using anyway. Neither will argon. Nitrogen is used together with CO2 to push beers further and at higher pressures than with CO2 alone.

Back