• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

$16 Corny Kegs (not mine)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I priced it out at $80 for 4 of them to be shipped to Northern IL. Then again, I'm not too far from MI.

I searched the forums before posting and they seemed to have a decent rep. They're also a sponsor on the beersmith site. That was enough for me to put my order in for 8 (per keg shipping is usually cheapest in multiples of 4).

Wow, the website has a disclaimer about the condition of the kegs:

We know some homebrewers are more picky than others, so please keep in mind that these are USED kegs. Some of these kegs are probably 30 years old. Do not expect new kegs. If you are looking for new kegs, please check out our new kegs. We try and have quality kegs available at all times. With this said, they are going to show normal wear and tear. We try not to purchase from Pepsi or Coke to avoid heavily used kegs. We are not implying that our kegs are not quality...we just want to avoid any misunderstandings.

I'm not being picky here, but geez were these freakin dirty. I just spent 3 hours cleaning 4. They all held pressure, but man were they pretty beat up. 2 had dents and 2 had dents on the post. They had decent amount of mud, crud, tar, you name it. They'll work fine, but definately not the quality I get from kegconnection. I guess for the price its worth it. I mean they look decent now.

IMG_42511.JPG

Agreed! I spent several hours yesterday cleaning/rebuilding the 8 I ordered (most of which were also dented). They all came pressurized and with new o-rings (but no dip-tube rings?). And they all held pressure after the cleaning/rebuild. But I was definitely thinking "how much is my time worth" in my head while I was cleaning...

yeah, same here, after 3-4 hours scrubbing the outside, cleaning the inside, redoing all the oring and supplying my own for the dip tubes, then sanitizing, I 'm thinking I could have just bought them from kegconnection. The dented post bother me and one of the lids was definately border line. I had a spare that I used instead. Oh well .. they hold pressure and they were cheap.

I just thought it was funny that they said they try not to purchase from coke/pepsi because they dont want to buy heavily used kegs. Man , I'd hate to see those.:)

Don't buy them!!! They only have a set number and I am looking to clean up on them once I get home... shhhh... don't even talk about them!!!

"We try not to purchase from Pepsi or Coke to avoid heavily used kegs"

Pepsi & Coke had to maintain the kegs to a pretty high standard and used high end cleaning equipment to clean them. If you are going to change out o-rings/poppets & prv's I'd rather have "heavily used kegs" and not spend 3-4 hours cleaning dirty rusty kegs.

JMO

is the difference in 12$ worth your 3-4 hours of cleaning?
Thats all the more you would be paying for mine.
Mine have the "Positive Pressure Promise"
And I am very pleased with the shape of my last load.
Just a thought.

I'll vouch for the quality of kegs from Insco2. I bought my last 4 pack from him. I did spend some time cleaning/rebuilding them, but they were in excellent shape. Some had a lot of stickers, but that doesn't bother me. The price was very fair I thought too. No affiliation or anything.

[edit] To be clear, his kegs were not overly filthy. They were as dirty as the kegs I have previously bought from chicompany, and from midwest. I thoroughly clean and rebuild any used kegs I buy.

I plan on cleaning them next time we brew. Brewing usually takes 3-4 hours anyways, with a ton of people around it won't be much hassle to clean even the nastiest of kegs.

Just wanted to follow up: Like the others, the kegs were pretty dirty, but mine weren't nearly as dirty as the pictures shown earlier. Mine have been soaking in PBW for awhile now, and they seem pretty easy to clean, spent about 30 minutes on em so far, and they look pretty good. Nearly no dents on mine either, just weird warning stickers.

The o-rings were an unexpected surprise, so the fact that they are missing dip tube rings is more weird than an annoyance.

Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase.

Note that I would've totally bought from insco instead, but shipping plays a big part when you live in the west. Companies get pretty big discounts, and i ended up saving significant amounts of money.

Just got mine today. There's some sticker gunk on the outside but other than that and a small dent on the side it looks fine. This deal is pretty much unbeatable. 16 bucks...these must have seriously fallen off of a truck.

I'll hopefully be picking up 5 or 6 of them in two days. All I have to do it walk off the plane, and drive straight there. Haven't seen the girlfriend in well over a month, and she lets me pick up beer stuff the second I see her.:rockin:

Got my package in last night. Haven't opened them up since they were delivered to my apartment. Probably going to clean and sanitize this weekend when I go to keg some pumpkin ale.

is the difference in 12$ worth your 3-4 hours of cleaning?
Thats all the more you would be paying for mine.
Mine have the "Positive Pressure Promise"
And I am very pleased with the shape of my last load.
Just a thought.

Looking at the picture of that keg, I'd definitely go with Jason. A quick scrub and rinse with Oxclean and all my kegs from Jason were serviceable, and work like a charm... without crazy dents and caked on mud!

I just picked mine up Friday. They were all in pretty good shape. I spent under and hour fully dissisembling them and cleaning them out. Overall, I am quite happy with the cost savings.

I popped mine open over the weekend. They were just as nice as MoreBeer sells their used ones. They had a couple of small dents, but other then that I was pleased. Had to clean out the insides and there is some sticker residue on the outside, but definitely not 3-4 hours of cleaning time that some people are stating.

I'm sure they don't all look like the pictures I posted, just posting my experience. THey are still a good deal, I didnt say they weren't, but if your gonna post good reviews, you might as well post the bad too. There's a difference between selling used kegs and selling kegs that have been lying around in the mud for years. Staineless is easily cleaned, how much cleaning is another issue.

Staineless is easily cleaned, how much cleaning is another issue.

Best reason to buy these. They guarantee they hold pressure, which works for me. I stuff my kegs in a cold dark kegorator, so I don't really care if they are pretty or not. I love my kegs for who they are on the inside :D

Here we are, 4 kegs shipped to NJ for $85. They look as good as or better than any of the 8 kegs I've purchased from Midwest and Sundrop Bottling. They all arrived holding pressure.

I also asked a question in the "Notes" section of the order, and my receipt came with a hand-written response to it. A nice personal touch.

newkegs1.jpg

newkegs2.jpg

-Joe

I saw this post on here for the $16 corny kegs from michigan. If I order in groups of 4 they are $20 each with shipping. I only want 2. Anybody else want any?

I ordered a 4-pack shipped to Portland, Oregon, and they ran a total of $27 a piece, $8 cheaper than I can get them locally. They're due to arrive tomorrow or Tuesday, I'll post a full report!

Back