Filtering out Whole hop leaves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xalu

Reaction score
I am currently brewing my second batch and was wondering if I should filter out the hops after the boil. They are whole hop leaves.... I tried searching but found posts mostly about hop pellets.

Thanks for any input

I just use a sanitized strainer when I pour the wort into the fermenter. It plugs up fast, but I have a garbage can handy to just dump it out.

I also use a strainer to keep out as much as I can, but if some makes it in it's no big deal. Whatever makes it in will settle to the bottom and just become part of the trub. It really won't hurt your beer either way, I just like having a bit less trub to deal with when racking.

thanks, I ended up using my grain bag. I cleaned as best I could. Worked out in the end....Looking forward to seeing how this one comes out.

Thanks for the tips guys

I was asking myself the same question yesterday. I had only a tiny strainer and a tiny funnel. Long story short, I pitched double the amount of yeast... :D

Next time, I will buy a big funnel and a big strainer. And a lot of spare grain bags just in case!

When I made my first brew today, I had multiple extra fine nylon grain bags that I put everything in.

Really helped keep the stuff out and from clogging the pipe in my counterflow chiller.

That works as a filter?

Um yeah... it has for a year or so. Hop leaves cannot penetrate the mesh, but it doesnt restrict the flow much so the kettle drains pretty fast. Here is a photo.

DSCN0896.JPG

Back