drastic color change during fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red96jeep

Reaction score
so right now im' fermenting a northern brewer american amber ale kit, for the first two weeks it retained a nice amber color, not 4 days into week three the color has turned into a very dark almost black shade. slightly worried that this means an infected/bad batch. this is only my second beer so i'm pretty well confused as to what's going on here, any ideas about what is up will be greatly appricated. i took one gravity sample after one week where i also switched from a blowoff tube to a bubbler type airlock. HELP!!!!

i agree, but i mean this stuff is BLACK like someone took a **** in it and then stired it in very well. i'm basing this assumption off of my last batch (scottish 60) but it stayed fairly close to it's glass color while in fermentation.

Don't worry, this is totally normal! When the yeast and other particles start to drop out of suspension and settle at the bottom of the fermenter, the color of the beer seems to darken.

Take a hydrometer reading and then taste it. If taste is good, beer is good.

Back