How do you feel about corn/maize as an adjunct?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your opinion of corn/maize?

• I love it and I use it in my mash as often as possible!

• It is necessary for certain styles.

• I've tried it before but I'm not a big fan.

• I hate it, and the flavor is awful. It ruins an otherwise good recipe!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Steve973

Reaction score
I was wondering if I'm one of the only people who hate corn in a beer. I associate the taste with all of the cheap american light lagers, like Coors, Budweiser, and Miller. I come from Pennsylvania, and I tread dangerous ground when I talk about how bad Yuengling Lager is with its high content of corn. It puts a twang and an aftertaste in beer for me that really ruins it.

What do the rest of you think?

The first time I used corn was in Poor Richard's Ale last winter, 2 1/2 lbs. Worked out very well, no twang or aftertaste, lots of body. I used it in my Bent Rod Rye and it really filled out a low-gravity "broken lawnmower" ale.

I really don't remember what BMC tastes like, it's probably been 15 years since I used a megabrew for anything except brining sausage.

Hmm, but do you notice corn in other brews? I notice a distinct taste, especially in Yuengling products. Unless they're doing something different with it that homebrewers don't normally do. Although I certainly don't mind beers that use rice.

i used corn flakes(don't laugh) in my pre-prohibition american lager
i don't know if it was operator error but i can still taste the corn even after being bottled for 3 months and it is not a flavour i like so will not use corn again

Bud has the neutral dryness of rice as an adjunct. Corn gives a distinct flavour which I quite like in some beers, in small amounts. It's particularly nice in an ESB or a cream ale.

mysterio said:
Bud has the neutral dryness of rice as an adjunct. Corn gives a distinct flavour which I quite like in some beers, in small amounts. It's particularly nice in an ESB or a cream ale.

mmm, a cream corn ale :tank:

Nothing wrong with some flaked maize in the right style when used with discretion. I use 15-20% in CAP/Pre-Prohibition beers. It can also work well at a 5-10% rate in certain Brit ales.

Steve973 said:
I was wondering if I'm one of the only people who hate corn in a beer. I associate the taste with all of the cheap american light lagers, like Coors, Budweiser, and Miller. I come from Pennsylvania, and I tread dangerous ground when I talk about how bad Yuengling Lager is with its high content of corn. It puts a twang and an aftertaste in beer for me that really ruins it.

What do the rest of you think?

There is no corn in Budweiser, that beer uses rice. Miller certainly does have a "corny" flavor. To me it almosts tastes like the leftover water from boiling a dozen ears of sweet corn.

I brew one ESB with a little corn. When it was young I could taste corn. When it was fully conditioned it just left a sweetness. I do not like sweet.

Back