Yet another Love controller question - Which one for keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

culaslucas

Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find any definitive answers.

I want to buy a Love controller for my new Keezer but I'm not sure which one to get. Is there a difference between the TS, TS2 TSX?

As far as I can tell, the only difference is the TS can be used for both heating or cooling but TSX can only be used for cooling. I like the look of the TSX & TS2 better, can I use either of these in my keezer? Are there any other Love options besides these 3 product lines?

TSX: http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Products/Product.cfm?Group_ID=270&Product_ID=511&sPageName=Intro
TS: http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Products/Product.cfm?Group_ID=402&Product_ID=706&sPageName=Intro
TS2: http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Products/Product.cfm?Group_ID=149&Product_ID=316&sPageName=Intro

UPDATE:
Here's an overview I found after researching these things:

Overview
TS: $65 Heating or cooling applications includes 5' probe
TS2: $50 Heating or cooling applications - does not include probe (one can be purchased for $7-$9.5 depending on length) [this is the one I chose for my Keezer]
TSX: $55 Cooling Applications only - tech guy said it was too complex for what it is designed for. I believe this doesn't include a probe either
TSS2: $69 Heating or Cooling Applications - 2 relays - can operate 1 heating and 1 cooling device - good for fermenter

Hopefully that helps someone who had the same questions I did.

Here's the link to temp controllers: Dwyer Instruments - Temperature Table of Contents

Your research is right. The only difference (I believe) between the TS and the TSX is the temperature range. The TSX has a temperature range which it can control only in the lower end of the spectrum, while the TS can control a large range both ways. Most people on the boards use the TS due to the flexibility of the temperature range. I have a fridge which I use to lager and ale in at the same time so I use the TS2 because it has two outputs, and two probe inputs. This way I can keep the fridge at lager temps and have ale's warmed by a heater to the proper temp.

I think in your situation I would recommend the Love TS controller.

The TSX has a temperature range which it can control only in the lower end of the spectrum, while the TS can control a large range both ways.

Thanks.

Are you referring to the Ambient Operating Temperature? If I like how the TSX looks and it's $10 cheaper, wouldn't it make sense to go with that since I don't plan on using it for anything outside of 35*-55*?

I have the TS2 which is the same layout as the TSX. And to answer your question from before from my reading and understanding the only difference between the TSX and TS seems to be a small difference in ambient operating temperature.

Also I don't know the exact difference but they use different styles of temperature probes. The TSX has two styles listed under the specifications section, while the TS only has one. Seems to me that for your application, the small differences between the two mean very little. Unless you dig up any info as to the temperature probes being real different, go with the one you think looks better.

I did a search and couldn't find any definitive answers.

I want to buy a Love controller for my new Keezer but I'm not sure which one to get. Is there a difference between the TS, TS2 TSX?

As far as I can tell, the only difference is the TS can be used for both heating or cooling but TSX can only be used for cooling. I like the look of the TSX & TS2 better, can I use either of these in my keezer? Are there any other Love options besides these 3 product lines?

TSX: Dwyer Instruments - Series TSX
TS: Dwyer Instruments - Series TS
TS2: Dwyer Instruments - Series TS2

Thanks for doing all of the home work/research. I'm gonna get the TS. I have a 27 cubic foot freezer we don't use anymore and make it into a lagering cooler. Life is good.:ban:

Thanks for doing all of the home work/research. I'm gonna get the TS. I have a 27 cubic foot freezer we don't use anymore and make it into a lagering cooler. Life is good.:ban:

If you're planning on using it as a fermentation vessel for your lagers, I believe you will want the TSS2. This will allow you to keep your fermentation between a set parameter - turning on the freezer when it's too warm and a lightbulb or fermwrap or aquarium heater when it's too cold. Right?

Looks like the cheapest I can find them new is on Love's site. $55 for the TSX-10140.

I'm almost 100% sure this is the one I need - TSX-10140 Digital temperature switch, 110 VAC supply voltage, °F with single output.

Right?

If you're planning on using it as a fermentation vessel for your lagers, I believe you will want the TS2. This will allow you to keep your fermentation between a set parameter - turning on the freezer when it's too warm and a lightbulb or fermwrap or aquarium heater when it's too cold. Right?

Is that a requirement? I figured as long as I could controll the temperature between a set parameter that that would be fine. Why would I need to heat the inside of the freezer? As long as the temperature controller turned on at a set temp and cut off at a set temp it should maintain the temperature between those two settings right? I am very new to lagering. As a matter of fact I have not done a lager so any advice would be great. Thanks.

Why would I need to heat the inside of the freezer? As long as the temperature controller turned on at a set temp and cut off at a set temp it should maintain the temperature between those two settings right?

What happens when the freezer gets too cold - say in the winter months? You'll need a way to heat it up (with a lightbulb, aquarium heater, fermwrap, etc).

This controller would only turn on the freezer compressor when it got too warm...

If you're keeping this indoors where it will always stay above your lagering temp, you will probably be okay with the TS, TS2 or TSX.

FYI: TSX is backordered from Dwyer/Love. Estimated ship time is 8 weeks. Un-freaking-believable.

SO I went with the TS2-010 - in hindsight it appears to be a better solution anyway - I guess a probe isn't included in this one so I added a 5' w metal probe. I TXFR'd to technical support and they said this would work fine as a simple on/off switch. The TSS2 (dual stage) would be the one for a fermentation vessel where you want to control on/off on 2 different items (ie freezer compressor & some sort of heating element).

Overview
TS: $65 Heating or cooling applications includes 5' probe
TS2: $50 Heating or cooling applications - does not include probe (one can be purchased for $7-$9.5 depending on length)
TSX: $55 Cooling Applications only - tech guy said it was too complex for what it is designed for. I believe this doesn't include a probe either
TSS2: $69 Heating or Cooling Applications - 2 relays - can operate 1 heating and 1 cooling device - good for fermenter

Hopefully that helps someone who had the same questions I did.

Here's the link to temp controllers: Dwyer Instruments - Temperature Table of Contents

That is all correct. If you want to simultaneously control a heating element and the fridge you need the TSS2. I just wired a TSS2 into my side-by-side project. See my sig if you want to see how that works.

Bumping an old thread, but just curious if anyone uses the TSX and monitors ambient temp as well? Looks like it has two inputs.

"Units are designed to accept up to two temperature probes selectable between PTC or NTC thermistor input."

My keezer will be located in a shop outside. So I would be interested in knowing the ambient temp. I would need to mount a probe on the outside to get that reading...

I have ghetto rigged my deep freezer. I will soon find out if it will work. What I have done is insulate around the compressor box. Then I added a fluorescent light that will keep the remaining area warmer than the compressor/probe area. I have 3 thermometers in it to see if how cool the remaining area will keep. One of the thermometers i am using is the outdoor sensor from our atomic clock so I can watch the temp from inside the house. This method but with an incandescent bulb may even be enough to keep the beer from freezing in the winter.

Now I will wait to see what temp the freezer will get down to before it shuts off. I will most likely have to play with the temp control a little.

I did this because I am impatient and my keggerator kit will be here in 3 days and also cheap.

I also was wondering, would a temperature control from a refrigerator work?

Has anyone tried the newer TS3 or TSX3 controllers? I haven't found any reference to them except for whats provided by Dwyer. Is there anything about these that would be undesirable for a keezer temp controller? I like the selectable temp units and they have a nice look to them.

Has anyone tried the newer TS3 or TSX3 controllers? I haven't found any reference to them except for whats provided by Dwyer. Is there anything about these that would be undesirable for a keezer temp controller? I like the selectable temp units and they have a nice look to them.

BUMP

Does anyone have any input on the TS3?

I bought the ts3 back when I posted the question. I remember having to figure out the wiring because it was a little different. It's been controlling my keezer ever since and working great.

Latest posts

Back