What does it cost you to refill your CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

Reaction score
I am just curious, I dont keg (yet) but the local guy will sell a filled #5 for 90 bucks and a filled #20 for 175.

Is that a little high? I never filled a tank so I dont know what it costs.

But I have seen CO2 tanks on ebay #5's about 60 and #20 for 125.

So, What does it cost you to refill your CO2?

;)

If you buy a tank online they'll ship it to you empty....its illegal to ship a filled cylinder, even though I may or may not have done that recently:D When I took my old 20#er to get filled I brought it to an Airgas location where they just swapped out my old steel tank for a brand new filled aluminum tank for 38 bucks.

There was a thread around here where folks were posting what they were paying, etc. It was supposed to be a continuously updated thing, not sure that's happening...

It cost me about $15 to fill a 10# tank.

I'll try and search for the other thread

$21 for a 5# swap at the LHBS.

If you buy a tank online they'll ship it to you empty....its illegal to ship a filled cylinder

It's not illegal, but to be legal it must be treated properly as HazMat. Most shippers don't do that because HazMat adds about $40 to shipping costs plus all the paperwork...

$90 for a 5# tank sounds like the price of purchasing a filled tank without swapping out an empty one.
I go to a local Airgas store where they have a swap program. I give them my empty 5# tank and they give me a full one for $16 & change.

$90 sounds a bit high for a tank + fill but if its convenient go for it.
Check this out - Beer CO2 & Nitrogen Gas Cylinders (Air Tanks) - MicroMatic

$57+shipping for a 5# tank. You'll then need to get it filled. Micromatic is excellent for kegging supplies

You'll be able to force carb and serve 8-10 kegs on a 5# tank...maybe more. Just be careful that you don't have any leaks in your system - 1 small leak and your tank will drain overnight. USE HOSE CLAMPS!

My LHBS (in CDN bacon):
1 lb $3.25
5 lbs $14.95
10 lbs $22.50

The rule of thumb I was given was: 1keg requires 1/2# of CO2. So my 10# is good for some ~20 or so kegs.

my company charges $20. right now. its jumped a lot in the past year or 2. not long ago it was $15, maybe 2 years or so

$25 for a 5lb refill at gas pro, $20 for a 20lb swapout at FFF here in Hawaii. Only down side is you "rent" the 20lb tank monthly, but it is still the best I can find here.

I payed $16.50 for my swap, but my welding store got bought out by praxair recently. If this means $10 swaps, I'll be very happy!

Edit: 5# tank.

Swap at a PraxAir location (HomeDepot)

20# for $18
10# for $14

I have a 20#.

I haven't yet installed my kegerator and my tank is sitting empty . . . but I just called the paintball supply store down the street and they quoted me $10 for a 5# fill.

I bought a #20 from the guy who fills them and exchange it for $11 refill.
22$ for my #50lb co2

Sparkling Carbonics in Cincinnati just refilled my 20# CO2 tank for $14 + tax. I believe it costs about $7 for a 5# tank.

Just had my 20# tank filled/exchanged for the first time yesterday. $15.50 plus tax. I don't remember how much it cost for my 5# the last time I had it filled, since I only use that in my kegerator to push beer it lasts forever. All my carbing and misc use comes out of my 20# tank

I had it done at A-L Compressed Gases in Pasco, WA, same place I picked up my tank from

Back