can i make beer blue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegcitybrewer

Reaction score
Hey,

So I was watching star trek today when they pulled out a bottle of romulan ale and I thought it would be fun to make a mock romulan ale, just need to dye a pale ale blue. Is this even possible? Or would it just turn green?

I don't have any first hand experience, but why not experiment with blue food coloring and a glass of beer?

Lmao. I would buy a commercial beer you think you could duplicate the color of, go home and add a little blue food color until the color is that of a smurfs butt.

I would buy a commercial pale beer similar in color to your base and some food coloring. See how much you have to add to get the desired affect and scale up for your own production. I would be worried it would get greenish though... Curious to see how it turns out.

Lol before you get too excited let's remember what happens the day after St Paddy's day when you're all peeing green. Food grade vegetable dye at bottling or kegging would probably be your best bet.

They refer to it as an ale, but it's commonly shown being served more like a high alcohol liquor/liquer, or at least fortified. Even characters who espouse love and appreciation for (and tolerance to quantities of) drink seem to draw the line.

Maybe a light-colored barleywine/fruitwine mix? A lot of wheat is a good idea too... it's generally shown almost opaque on-screen.

They refer to it as an ale, but it's commonly shown being served more like a high alcohol liquor/liquer, or at least fortified. Even characters who espouse love and appreciation for (and tolerance to quantities of) drink seem to draw the line.

Maybe a light-colored barleywine/fruitwine mix? A lot of wheat is a good idea too... it's generally shown almost opaque on-screen.

There ya go. Make a blueberry mead with some grains.

You probably could use something like the hard lemonade recipe in the wine making forum and use 50% blueberry, and a couple pounds of DME instead of just the 1

Some guys in the local HBC brewed up some light ale and racked it onto some of that blue raspberry syrup (think snowcone syrup) and that sh*t was blue as all heck. The taste? Well......... :eek:

This is a lime sima with 2 drops of blue food coloring in the glass.

rhino farts and rocket fuel!

1391764120663.jpg

Remember that a lot of folks are sensitive to food coloring and will break out in rashes. So using it in beer seems a bit questionable to me since it adds nothing.

Remember that a lot of folks are sensitive to food coloring and will break out in rashes. So using it in beer seems a bit questionable to me since it adds nothing.

Except the colour effect the OP is looking for :eye roll:

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There used to be a sports bar in Milwaukee where they'd make the Miller Lite blue on Brewers Opening Day so I know it can be done. People wound up with blue tongues and blue teeth, though.

Latest posts

Back