Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
storm_rider_1 said:
Would it be ok to use brown minute rice instead of white rice? I forgot to buy rice and we have 3 boxes of brown rice at home. Thanks

The brown in brown rice is the aleurone layer. The starch is what's being converted so I'm saying no difference.

Made this for the first time a couple weeks ago, also for my BMC friends, and It's not too bad after only a few days in the keg. It has a little creamed corn taste I'm hoping will fade a bit(used grits instead of flaked corn), but it should be a winner once it's good and carbed up.:mug:

Cream of Three Crops on the left. Bud Light Lime on the right. My batch has a noticeable corn flavor. Not overpowering but you can tell its there in the aftertaste. Def a good lawnmower beer though.

image-2976358076.jpg

I have probably brewed this 10 times by now, and have made a few changes over time, with experience. I used 8 lbs of Gambrinus Pale Malt and 2 lbs of corn, and 8oz of Uncle Ben's rice today, with Denny's Favorite 50 yeast. It was so clear coming out of the boil kettle, I wanted to get a picture of it. I only did a 60 minute boil, but until I got down to the last 3 to 4 inches in my 5 gallon brew kettle, you could see straight through it. I don't know what it is about this grain bill, but it is crystal clear compared to other recipes from start to finish. This is one of my go-to recipes, and always will be. Thank you so much.

How did this turn out with Denny's? I just brewed this yesterday and pitched 1/2 of a cake of Denny's into the fermenter. I am hoping that it does something interesting with the mouthfeel of this grain bill.

On another note, this is the first time pitching an unwashed cake portion - I forgot to add O2, but had active fermentation within 20min. I am hoping that the lack of O2 is ok since the yeast wont need as much to reproduce much considering I likely overpitched anyways. Also, I forgot to add my whirlflock in.... Do you think a few days at 35 degrees and some gelatine will clear this out even without the kettle fining?

Hello I brewed a 5.5gal batch of this yesterday using flaked rice. My OG seemed high at 1.058 dont know why I have such high gravity air lock is bubbling away.

I think the rice does not make a difference , surely not much if any . Maybe you just got a real good mash . I get higher OG's than called for sometimes because I get real good efficiency most of the time . But then I get FG of 1.011 almost all the time so ??? Only got below that using kits .

Just about to finish off my last couple bottles of this . Crap . Out of beer . I got lazy . Am going to brew another batch this weekend. I usually have about 8 cases all the time . I am slipping .
I might also do an extract of this to save some time and have two batches going . Great beer!

DerrangedPOJO said:
What will be the difference if i use Dried Rice extract instead of uncle bens?

You would need to figure the proper amount in something like beersmith...

Flavor wise there should be no difference.

well I made this as my second partial mash, partial boil, BIAB..... Fermented it for 3 weeks keeping the room at 68* (dont have a cooler yet). This was the first one i popped open after 2 weeks conditioning and a about 3 hours in the fridge. (I was impatient lol)

Very drinkable and way better then any BMC!

89BBAD12-7FFD-46C8-812F-2BAECD0447D1-10300-000002F428E6CC30_zps5124d78a.jpg

Mashing my second batch of this now. The first batch was a hit with my father in law so I'm brewing/kegging this batch for his surprise 60th birthday!

So today I brewed . Started off by putting flaked rice in my mill and clogging it and then poured in a few pounds of 2 row to mix in and while getting it unclogged I spilled it . Lost some to the floor . Put in extra few ounces or so of 2 row to make up for it .
Went for the mash . used 165 degree water and poured in the grain and it dropped top 145 ??WTF ? Oh well an extra gallon of mash water boiling to take care of that . Stirred fora while to drop down to 153 . Or what ever that happens to be since thermometer is not right I am sure . Left open for a while to cool down to 150.
boiled 8 gallons . put in .75 ounces hops at 60 minutes fora bit more hop . .63 is for 6 gallons . boiled 30 minutes and then added in hops and boiled for 1 hour and had 7 gallons wort so I boiled for another 20 minutes .

I am sure it is going to come out good . I think ... maybe ...

Had pretty good brew day. Overshot my target OG by a point so I'm a little worried it might be a little too boozy/hot. Other than that I hit all my temps/volumes. This is my first time using washed yeast so hopefully I'll get some good airlock activity. I washed some US-05 from the last batch. If it looks like it's not going to start I have another pouch as backup...

Anyways, here are the numbers:
Target OG: 1.043
Actual OG: 1.053
Target/Actual Volume: 5 gal
Estimated Efficiency: 70%
Actual Efficiency: 75.3%

I also had a OG of 1.053 .
I had forgot to take away a half to a gallon in my hot wort for heat and trub and actually had only 5 left after boil when I siphoned to fermenting bucket . I had to add in 1 gallon of water but that brought me down to 1.053 . Put it in fridge at 64 degrees measured at bucket by Johnson controller but the thermometer I placed in the fridge also reads 64 so I do not know which is right . No visible activity as of yet but I think it will kick in soon.

Anybody use lager yeast with this recipe. I'm too busy to go through the whole thread but was thinking about doing 10 gallons this weekend. 5 with s-05 and 5 with lager yeast.

I want to do this recipe but the only hops I have on hand are magnum, centennial, columbus, nugget, and cluster. Anyone got a suggestion on using any of those or a combo. I want to brew this tomorrow night.

Spent 6 hours from 9 pm Tuesday til 3 am Wednesday brewing this recipe! Came out well as could be expected for my inaugural attempt at all grain!

Was set to use willamette and another hop variety, but I didn't have the 2nd variety. So I guess I brewed a SMaSH? Anyhow, it looked delicious!

thanks brewskii for the insight. I did use a brew calculater to adjust what i am using. Just so i know the abv should be around 4 correct?

I plan on brewing this very soon. Has anyone experimented with late-addition/whirlpool hops? Or even dry-hopping?

Made this morning . My sg was a hair low. 1.036. Used nottingham yeast and for a 5gal batch I used .75 ounce of each hop in the original recipe. Hydrated the yeast prior to pitching. Fermentation started in less than 6 hours. thanks for the recipe.

Brewed this morning as well, also was the first brew on my single tier stand. Went real smooth the wort tasted good cant wait.

Brewed this for the third time two weeks ago. Today is day 15. Set the chest freezer to 35f before I went on a camping trip on day 12 and today it is looking mighty clear in the carboy. I was a little concerned because I used part of a cake of denny's 1450 and have heard of flocc issues with that, but this is looking like it will drop out really nicely.

Does anyone have experience with the final product of this beer using denny's 1450 yeast? I am really intrigued as to how this will turn out. If not, I will update this thread in about a week and a half or so.

Brewed this for the third time two weeks ago. Today is day 15. Set the chest freezer to 35f before I went on a camping trip on day 12 and today it is looking mighty clear in the carboy. I was a little concerned because I used part of a cake of denny's 1450 and have heard of flocc issues with that, but this is looking like it will drop out really nicely.

Does anyone have experience with the final product of this beer using denny's 1450 yeast? I am really intrigued as to how this will turn out. If not, I will update this thread in about a week and a half or so.

No but im curious as well, I have a pack of it that im thinking of slanting. Might do that and then make a starter and try a batch with this.

I was hoping to brew a 2.5 gallon version of this on the coming Sunday. It will be my friend and mine's first attempt at BIAB. I scaled down beir munkers I found on brewers friend that was for BIAB at 5 gallon.

Brewing a 5.5 gal batch tomorrow.

5.5# 2-row
2# grits (ahs was out if flaked corn)
2# rice

1 oz williamette - 60 min

Using washed wlp007

We'll see how this turns out.

Brewed 11 gallons of this 4 weeks ago. Gravity sample is crystal clear. Quick carbed a pint, tastes pretty good.

What temps are you fermenting at to get the clarity?
I also assume everyone is racking to secondary to help clarify.
Has anyone used US-05 or Nottingham?

I ferment this in my basement at around 65 F.

I do not rack to a secondary but instead I cold crash the beer for 48 hours to help with clarity.

US-05 is a great yeast to use for this recipe.

I fermented at 62 for two weeks, then brought up to 67 for two weeks. No secondary or cold crash. This was us-05

BrewerMikey said:
What temps are you fermenting at to get the clarity?
I also assume everyone is racking to secondary to help clarify.
Has anyone used US-05 or Nottingham?

Yeah, I used US-05 I had washed from a prior batch about 6 weeks earlier. Made a two step starter and pitched about 24 hours after boil finished. There was some aggressive feentation for about 72 hours! Temps were 68-70.

I just pitched us-05 n its taken off harder than the nottingham did last week. I have 3 batches of cream of three crops boing, the other has us-06 cause thats all I had was from a washed witbier from 6 months ago. I didn't use a starter and it took off great! All fermenting around 68....

Use US05 and notty . Been fermenting at about 70 room temp and 3 weeks in primary no secondary . Settles out good and then easy siphon leaving a quart or so in bucket to avoid too much trub . This time went with a fridge at 64 to 67 beer temp. Might cold crash might not .

Latest posts

Back