How about this water for all grain brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowPow

Reaction score
I just started looking into my water quality. The full chart of my water can be found here:
http://www.vasyd.se/SiteCollectionDocuments/Vatten och avlopp/Dricksvatten/Malmö Juni 2012.pdf

It's in swedish though, but here are the numbers that I have seen other people post:
pH: 8.3
Sodium, Na: 33
Calcium, Ca: 31
Magnesium, Mg: 7.6
Sulfate, SO4: 30
Chloride, Cl: 25
Bicarbonate, HCO3: 130
Chlorine: 0.04

Any numbers that I'm missing?

Anything extraordinary that I absolutely should address?

I have got the John Palmer BYO book, so I will be looking into that as well.

Just to clarify: The numbers in the far right column are not the numbers of my water, It's the highest number allowed by our food administration.

My numbers are found in the middle column.

Pretty low across the board. Here's Palmer's recommendations:

Ca: 30-50
Mg: 10-30
Na: 0 - 150
Cl: 0 - 250
SO4: 50-350

Pretty low across the board. Here's Palmer's recommendations:

Ca: 30-50
Mg: 10-30
Na: 0 - 150
Cl: 0 - 250
SO4: 50-350

Is there an updated recommendation? In the book it says recommended Ca 50-150 ppm?

Anyhow.. I tried the EZ Water calculator and if I add gypsym and epsom salt i get into the range 50-150 in Ca, and my mash PH gets down to about 5.5 (from ~5.65 that I got from some of my latest grain bills). I got up to the upper lever of S04, but still within the max 350 range.

So Gypsym and Epsom salt.. Good idea? What else would you do, if anything?

I wouldn't add Epsom Salts. If you need the SO4, you can get that from Gypsum. You shouldn't need Mg as malt already contains an adequate supply (according to George Fix).
I also don't think I'd like to get the SO4 close to the upper level, unless I were brewing a very strong IPA.
You may find that some CaCl2 could be used to replace the Epsom Salts and some of the Gypsum to get the required pH adjustment without having excessive SO4.

-a.

Palmer's recommendations are outdated. Here are the recommendations contained in Bru'n Water:

Ca: 10 to 150 ppm, but should be above 40 in most cases
Mg: 0 to 30 ppm
Na: 0 to 100 ppm, but can go to 150 in limited cases
SO4: 0 to 350 ppm
Cl: 0 to 100 ppm, but can go to 150 in limited cases
HCO3: As needed for mash pH control

Brewers should be aware that there are antagonistic flavor effects when Na, SO4, or Cl are high. When any of those ions are high, the other two need to be relatively low.

I wouldn't add Epsom Salts. If you need the SO4, you can get that from Gypsum. You shouldn't need Mg as malt already contains an adequate supply (according to George Fix).
I also don't think I'd like to get the SO4 close to the upper level, unless I were brewing a very strong IPA.
You may find that some CaCl2 could be used to replace the Epsom Salts and some of the Gypsum to get the required pH adjustment without having excessive SO4.

-a.

The Epsom salt was just to get the PH down a bit more. If i add gypsym to get down to PH 5.5 my Ca levels will get over 150.

Palmer's recommendations are outdated. Here are the recommendations contained in Bru'n Water:

Ca: 10 to 150 ppm, but should be above 40 in most cases
Mg: 0 to 30 ppm
Na: 0 to 100 ppm, but can go to 150 in limited cases
SO4: 0 to 350 ppm
Cl: 0 to 100 ppm, but can go to 150 in limited cases
HCO3: As needed for mash pH control

Brewers should be aware that there are antagonistic flavor effects when Na, SO4, or Cl are high. When any of those ions are high, the other two need to be relatively low.

Thanks for your reply.

As i see it my main problem is that my mash ph will get to high in a light beer, and my Ca levels are to low. But how would i get the Ca levels up without the Cl and S04 also getting up?

How about adding acid to the mash, and keeping the salt additions relatively low?

-a.

I thought about that too. It would certainly help me hitting my preferred mash PH, but I'm still stuck at a really low level of Ca.

If i add gypsum and/or epsom my Cl and/or SO4 would also get up. But maybe that's okay as long as their not to high? I'm referring to mabrungard's post that said that you should get more than one of Na, SO4 or Cl high..

Late edit: I see I screwed things up here. For som reason i read it as "Not more than one Ca, SO4 or Cl should be in their highs." Sorry about that. So I guess Gypsum and acid would work fine for my water.

Thanks for the help!

Your English is much better than my Swedish. :)

I think either Gypsum or Calcium Chloride plus some acid should be good. I make a lot of Pale Ales and IPAs. which I like with relatively high levels of SO4, but I keep the Cl below 30 ppm. If I'm making a lager, I just use CaCl2 to get the calcium, leaving the SO4 alone (about 12 ppm in my case).

-a.

Your English is much better than my Swedish. :)

I think either Gypsum or Calcium Chloride plus some acid should be good. I make a lot of Pale Ales and IPAs. which I like with relatively high levels of SO4, but I keep the Cl below 30 ppm. If I'm making a lager, I just use CaCl2 to get the calcium, leaving the SO4 alone (about 12 ppm in my case).

-a.

Thanks alot!

I will start with just the Gypsum for my upcoming brew (I like to change just one thing at the time, otherwise it's hard to tell whats really making the difference).

The next step will be acid malt or lactic acid in the mash :mug:

Back