Too much wort, missed OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreshZ

Reaction score
I brewed a DIPA last night and I miscalculated my boil off. I was shooting for 5 gallons and ended up with 6. I believe that (and bad mash efficiency) caused me to miss my OG by about 10 points. I wouldn't worry that much, but my DIPA is going to be more like an IPA in terms of ABV.

Is there anything I can do now? Dump in some DME or sugar? Or is the die pretty much cast?

If you ran off an extra gallon and lost 10 points your efficiency should still be good. The easy solution is to add a pound of sugar(make a simple syrup first) and add to the fermentor. This will dry your beer out a bit though. Personally I always like to add around a pound of sugar to my double ipa's since I prefer a dry beer.

Personally I would leave it as is because not only is the ABV off but also the balance of hops and malt will be off as well do to the larger volume and less boil off for utilization so the bitter of the DIPA may not be there either. Just my .02, take notes and chalk it up for the next batch:mug:

duboman said:
Personally I would leave it as is because not only is the ABV off but also the balance of hops and malt will be off as well do to the larger volume and less boil off for utilization so the bitter of the DIPA may not be there either. Just my .02, take notes and chalk it up for the next batch:mug:

Good call about the balance. I guess this will have to be a "learning" beer.

Add dissolved dme or sugar, it's a small enough amount and not a concern. Your calculations expected a certain OG so none of your bitterness will be thrown off by adding more fermentables and attaining that OG.

Add dissolved dme or sugar, it's a small enough amount and not a concern. Your calculations expected a certain OG so none of your bitterness will be thrown off by adding more fermentables and attaining that OG.

His og was off by having an extra gallon of wort not poor efficiency, therefore extra fermentables will change his gu-bu ratio and the perceived bitterness. That being said I'd still hit it with a pound of sucrose but opinions vary.

I'd just leave it and enjoy it as is. It'll become beer, maybe not the exact beer that you wanted. If you invite friends over and say nothing about it other than you made it yourself they'll all still be impressed.

So, a week and half in and I took a gravity sample. It's already blown past the Hopville estimated FG of 1.020. It's at 1.011. Could end up close to my planned ABV.

Weird thing though, it smelled like nothing, kinda like old malt or something. The taste was pure grapefruit. I guess this will even out? I do plan on dry hopping with Amarillo and cascade, so that should fix the aroma. Anybody else have this strong grapefruit taste?

Back