Turkey Fryer Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdubbaya

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I did some searching on the forums, but didn't find much on this topic.

I have a 32 qt. turkey fryer that has an pump for pumping out the oil for cleaning. I want to use the fryer for 6.5 gallon boils, then pump the wort into a fermenting bucket. Basically this just saves me time for lifting the cooled wort and pouring it into a fermenting bucket.

Now that I think about it, it would be nice to pump the wort into a bottling bucket and then aerate it by opening the spigot and letting it pour into the fermenting bucket.

Either way, anyone else use these pumps for this reason? I would assume if it can handle hot oil, it should handle wort at about 65-70 degrees?

Not knowing anything about that pump, my only question would be, have you ever pumped oil with it? If so, how will you ensure that there is not some oil residue getting in to your wort?

Well of course I would clean it out a few times and sanitize.

I have not used it, but it is used. I bought it on Craigslist. The fryer is fine and was worth the money, I just thought I'd get some use of the pump as well.

I don't think I would risk it... I've had beers that guys have made with dual purpose equipment and while some of it turned out well, some turned out with some issues. No head retention, problems carbonating, off flavors, etc. With something like a pot I wouldn't see a problem, but unless you can completely disassemble that pump and get out all of that oil, I personally would not use it.

Oil is your enemy. The only way to be sure it is truely clean would be to take apart tge head and clean it by hand, unless this is a very expensive pump I doubt it is possible. Fryer oil is very hard to clean up...

Your planning on working with cooled wort... This is very easy to contaminte, unless it is a sanitary pump made for food products I would not try it. I would never even pump cooled wort with my march 809... I use it only on the hot side where I push it through the cooler and into fermentation vessel.

Just my opinion

Back