In Praise of Chicory in Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What a nice morning - am working from home this morning, brewing with Boy#1 in the pm (the congressional district office he interns with is closed today so he gets the afternoon off) and I'm sitting around reading the NY Times and drinking coffee.

Which leads to this post - whichever French/Acadian/Cajun came up with idea of adding chickory to coffee should have get a medal. After a week in New Orleans this summer, I have been brewing my coffee with it. Cafe DuMonde in New Orleans serves it that way - if you haven't tried it, you should.

Here's to good coffee!

Cafe Dumond is usually my "house blend" in the morning, except that it is 6 bucks for one of those tiny coffee cans, which is too bad, because not only does it mellow the taste of it, it also tends to reduce some of the acid in coffee as well. I tend to have acid reflux in the morning, and Dumond is one of the few brands that doesn't trigger it.

I used to be able to find chickory years ago in grocery stores to blend it with other coffee brands, nut i haven't noticed it in quite awhile.

Revvy, I buy chickory in a little orange box at my local grocery store - it's "Coffee Partner" brand. I mix it with French Roast coffee (fair trade, but that's a different topic).

The box says it's made by Reilly Foods in New Orleans.

Revvy, I buy chickory in a little orange box at my local grocery store - it's "Coffee Partner" brand. I mix it with French Roast coffee (fair trade, but that's a different topic).

That used to be the box I got, I think couldn't remember the brand, I'll have to look around some more.

Thanks for reminding me. :mug:

What ratio do you mix it at?

I don't measure the coffee or the chickory - livin' life on the edge!

Maybe a tablespoon or two of chickory per pot.

Jim, you disappoint me.

I have my morning visual of you reading HBT on the train and laughing and having strangers stealing glances at you and move away. I always enjoy that picture in my mind.

Now it turns out that you're just a relatively normal guy drinking coffee at home. I think I'm losing my crush..............:D

That picture is sadly too true and lifelike. Today, my eccentricities will manifest in different ways. Did I mention what I'm wearing while working from home?

Jim, you disappoint me.

I have my morning visual of you reading HBT on the train and laughing and having strangers stealing glances at you and move away. I always enjoy that picture in my mind.

Now it turns out that you're just a relatively normal guy drinking coffee at home. I think I'm losing my crush..............:D

I love my CDM coffee with chickory...I drink it every morning. When I lived in Birmingham, AL, every time I visited New Orleans, I would pick up several pounds of CDM coffee.

When I started college I hated coffee but necessity had to invent a way for me to drink it. Waffle House had chicory in their coffee and that was the only coffee that I even remotely liked...so coffee with chicory in it was what got me 'into' coffee. Now I LOVE coffee. But now when I drink chicory-laden coffee I can't stand it. Humans are weird.

Cafe Du Monde beignets are awesome!

That picture is sadly too true and lifelike. Today, my eccentricities will manifest in different ways. Did I mention what I'm wearing while working from home?

Ok. So, what are you wearing? :D

I'm also working from home today. I've also kegged a stout, and am about to wash some pacman yeast from my IIPA and dryhop that. I'm also fixing to retrieve my stirbar from the bottom of that yeast cake in the IIPA.

no thank you

i roast my own premium green coffee beans at home and can't imagine adding chickory. it would mask the fruit tones in this peaberry from Nicaragua.

BLASPHEMY!

I like coffee in my coffee. That ground-up-root does nothing but cuts down the caffeine. Why would you disgrace the sweet sweet nectar of the jumping mountain goats?

B

Oh my god, look what I found when I googled Chickory...

Some beer brewers use roasted chicory to add flavor to their stouts.

Has anyone done this?

Never mind there's a whole bunch of links in the similar threads box below...too interesting.

Revvy-

Chickory in stout would be interesting, if used with a light hand.

One disadvantage of using the mobile version of HBT is that there is no "related threads" function at the bottom of the page :(

Chicory is a ditch weed around here... pretty flowers, grows everywhere along the roadside.

I do like it in coffee.

Revvy, I would get it from Sweet Maria's, where alot of the coffee roasters get beans and info.

http://www.cajungrocer.com/coffee-p...vsfhu=363233&gclid=CPnwtZzDqbQCFcuZ4Aod9h4AxQ

I know nothing about the vendor or if the amount offered is adequate, but it would seem that getting this stuff online isnt too difficult...

I enjoyed the coffee in NOLA, especially with the steamed milk.

They shouldnt make the poor baristas wear the stupid hats though..

What does straight up chicory taste like? Anyone?

I don't know how it tastes straight up, but when I was in College, one of my classmates supplied our work group with #10 cans of Cafe Du Monde chicory coffee, which we would brew in a percolator. Each morning my team sat with our heads down on a desk until the coffee was ready and we could get sobered up enough to start our 4 hour lab class. That was after one of the other guys got caught in a cockpit with a oxygen mask on one morning and blew that plan.
The aviators oxygen mask worked much better, but the coffee tasted better.

Thank goodness for plan B

That chicory coffee sure tasted good, and probably save me.

chickory in coffee is like adding fruit to beer... yuck. good coffee is ruined by adding anything to it

Yes, Kriek De Ranke and Cantillon Lou Pepe are just terrible Belgian beers, and don't get me started on Goose Island's Madame Rose and Juliet. Beers absolutely ruined by fruit ;)

Yes, Kriek De Ranke and Cantillon Lou Pepe are just terrible Belgian beers, and don't get me started on Goose Island's Madame Rose and Juliet. Beers absolutely ruined by fruit ;)

I'll just be boring and stick to plain ol' barley and hops - maybe get crazy and use a little wheat or oats.

chickory in coffee though.... guess Im spoiled from home roasting for years

That's fine to say you don't like it, just wanted to make the point that some of the finest sour beers made include fruit in their ingredients. Sour beers are an acquired taste, but very rewarding in my opinion.

yeah I certainly haven't developed a taste for sours yet. tried a few that were said to be good but just not my thing. maybe someday.. wasnt that long ago I couldnt stand IPA's. more for everyone else until then.

I'd love to do some home roasting - do you use a commercial machine?

I've roasted on several machines from home built kits to Diedrich IR series (wicked sweet). My current kit is a Quest M3 which I love. Got a lot of roasting to do for xmas presents this weekend.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back