combo sight-glass/thermo, or T- fitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmpolesov

Reaction score
I have a polar ware with two welded fittings, one 1/2" MPT for the spiggot, one 1/2" FPT for the thermo.

I would like to have a sight glass. I am not going to drill a third hole in this thing. This is not a scrapyard keg, this is a nice kettle I shelled out $$ for and I am not going to mess it up by using it for 'welding practice'.

Is there some sort of a T-fitting I can use or a combo sight-glass thermo?

Thanks Dude.

Related question: is there any way to get NPT threads to be in the orientation you want? For example I hate it when the thermometer is not threaded in enough in the upright position, but can only be threaded another half turn, not a full turn, before it is too tight.

One thing I do know is you've got to be careful threading stainless. If you screw it up, it'll work harden and you can forget about getting it back out.

I've got another Idea. I've got a HF 220v spot welder. I could use that to 'dimple' (not actually weld anything, just make a mark) the side of my polarware at increments, to make a poor mans graduation. Again I'd be slightly afraid of screwing something up and burning a hole in the side of my nice kettle.

Here we go

http://morebeer.com/view_product/17450/

now we're talking! This could go right on the spigot threaded fitting in between the pot and the ball valve.

There's still the question of thread orientation, I wouldn't want the sight poiting sideways or down. maybe I'm being paranoid about over-tightening stainless.

Back