Chili: Discuss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chili: Beans or No Beans

• Beans

• No Beans

• What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oh R2D2, I am channeling Gemelli...(where is he???)

It ain't nachos if it aint got chips, lol.

I hear you on tots.

We are not that far off. I like the big thick crinkle fries, which are crispy but with a nice potato center (as opposed to McD fries) like tots.

I do not, however call it nachos ;)

True, you have a point. I am just lazy and it got my point across in far fewer letters.

I'm surprised no one from Cincinnati has jumped in here on this thread! I agree a lot if the ideas and recipes here sound amazing! But I do like a bit of cinnamon in my chilli... And chunks/cubes pof steak are my favorite type of meat, although I won't say no to chicken, ground meat, sausage or whatever...but it does have to have meat!

I like beans in my chili but I understand it's not a traditional ingredient. Reminds me of the Big Bang Theory episode when Sheldon educates the group on that fact when someone makes chili. Then he says, "This is good.... whatever it is."

I use Sierra Nevada porter in my chili. I got the recipe out of an issue of Maxim several years ago and the recipe is BOMB. Everyone who tries it loves it.

Of course, it isn't really chili without cheese, raw onions, and a side of cornbread.

Now I want chili... but we're months away from chili weather.

I like beans in my chili but I understand it's not a traditional ingredient. Reminds me of the Big Bang Theory episode when Sheldon educates the group on that fact when someone makes chili. Then he says, "This is good.... whatever it is."

I use Sierra Nevada porter in my chili. I got the recipe out of an issue of Maxim several years ago and the recipe is BOMB. Everyone who tries it loves it.

Of course, it isn't really chili without cheese, raw onions, and a side of cornbread.

Now I want chili... but we're months away from chili weather.

Having kinda a cold spell here.....(lows in 60's highs of 80) hardly fall, but it hardly feels like August either!

Rozanda Thomas is the only Chilli I could eat 2-3 times a week. Definitely without beans, of course.

The other stuff is okay once or twice in teh winter season. When it gets cold i prefer noodle soups.

I always liked peanut butter sandwiches with my chili. That's the way they served it at school and it's stuck with me. Supposed to be real nice out this weekend, but I keep thinking we should cook up some chili anyway.

Homercidal said:
I always liked peanut butter sandwiches with my chili. That's the way they served it at school and it's stuck with me. Supposed to be real nice out this weekend, but I keep thinking we should cook up some chili anyway.

That's not too off the wall. I've seen people cook their chili with PB in it. I've never had it that way, but I imagine its not bad.

I'm surprised no one from Cincinnati has jumped in here on this thread! I agree a lot if the ideas and recipes here sound amazing! But I do like a bit of cinnamon in my chilli... And chunks/cubes pof steak are my favorite type of meat, although I won't say no to chicken, ground meat, sausage or whatever...but it does have to have meat!

Cincinnati here. Not born and bred though.

Cincinnati chili is great on a hot dog or in a 3-way, but to me its not chili. Its more of a dip or condiment. I would NOT ever put cinnamon in my chili. That's getting into mole territory. Mole is amazing, but its not chili.

Cumin, cinnamon and clove go in my chili. Beans too, don't like it? Good. ;)

I always wait until I have leftover brisket or steak to make chili with. Ground meat just isn't the real thing.

(SEE WUT I DID??? thumbed my nose at purists and then threw out some purist crap of my own....durrrrrrr)

cheezydemon3 said:
Cumin, cinnamon and clove go in my chili. Beans too, don't like it? Good. ;)

I always wait until I have leftover brisket or steak to make chili with. Ground meat just isn't the real thing.

(SEE WUT I DID??? thumbed my nose at purists and then threw out some purist crap of my own....durrrrrrr)

I do add a touch of cinnamon to my chili and some of my seasonings/marinades I mix together for grilling meat. I add just enough to where there's a little something you know is there, but you wouldn't know it was cinnamon unless I told you. If someone ever asks me if I put cinnamon in something savory I cooked for them, then I know I added too much.

I do add a touch of cinnamon to my chili and some of my seasonings/marinades I mix together for grilling meat. I add just enough to where there's a little something you know is there, but you wouldn't know it was cinnamon unless I told you. If someone ever asks me if I put cinnamon in something savory I cooked for them, then I know I added too much.

Exactly! Same with the clove, just a touch.

A pinch of cinnamon in cajun dishes, like cajun grilled wings is awesome!

I wonder how it would turn out if you used mole sauce as the liquid part for a chili recipe? A lot of moles have cinnamon and cloves and whatnot in them so it would probably work pretty well. I might have to try that next time.

I'm sorry to create havoc, but chili without beans is the missionary position - it gets the job done, but Neo eat the red pill and feel the real world.

Also because I'm crazy, I serve chili over white rice.

Already mentioned hot peppers help define chili - I'm interested to try the chocolate, coffee and various other ingredients.

I'm sorry to create havoc, but chili without beans is the missionary position - it gets the job done, but Neo eat the red pill and feel the real world.

Also because I'm crazy, I serve chili over white rice.

Already mentioned hot peppers help define chili - I'm interested to try the chocolate, coffee and various other ingredients.

While not bad, people who serve chili over rice didn't cook enough chilli. Seriously I have only seen it served that way when the host wants to stretch it.

Wow, I have never heard of chili over rice.

I prefer curry on my rice.

12345.jpg

I could see chili over rice being good when its three days after you made chili and you are having left overs for dinner. I dig a good frito pie though, made buffet style while camping or on a picnic or something.

I can't believe people have mentioned chili dogs but not chili burgers!

Beans are an additional ingredient, you can alter flavour & texture of your chili by simply switching up the beans, OR by leaving them out entirely. I usually make chili with pinto beans, but sometimes I'll use red kidney beans or even black beans; once in a while I'll use all three.

Sometimes you change up the chili peppers & other spices don't you? Maybe using more chipotle than cayanne, or adding a few serranos to boost the heat of those jalapenos. I don't like using ground meat, but sometimes you just have to. I've made chili with pork sausage & andouille, they both turned out ok; better than ground beef. My fav is pork stew meat; you can do anything with it & it always tastes great. Sometimes I'll add a spoonful of hot madras curry and/or a 1/4 or 1/2 cup of honey to my chili; the sweet helps to buffer the spicy hot & lets the heat sort of sneak up on you. :)
Regards, GF.

No one has mentioned White chili?
1lb Great Northern beans
1 - med onion
3 - cloves of garlic
2 - 4oz cans of green chilies
2 - tsp ground cumin
1 - tbsp. oragano
1 1/2 - tsp cayenne
salt
2lb boneless chicken breast/ chunked
1/2 can chicken broth
1 cup water

brown chicken breast
Toss everything into crock pot on low/med before leaving for work.

Southwest - no beans
Southeast - beans but over rice
Anywhere the high for the day is below freezing- BEANS and cooked all day in the crock pot.

The most annoying thing I see people doing is filling the bowl with crackers till it makes a chili/cracker paste.

Yellowirenut said:
No one has mentioned White chili?
1lb Great Northern beans
1 - med onion
3 - cloves of garlic
2 - 4oz cans of green chilies
2 - tsp ground cumin
1 - tbsp. oragano
1 1/2 - tsp cayenne
salt
2lb boneless chicken breast/ chunked
1/2 can chicken broth
1 cup water

brown chicken breast
Toss everything into crock pot on low/med before leaving for work.

Southwest - no beans
Southeast - beans but over rice
Anywhere the high for the day is below freezing- BEANS and cooked all day in the crock pot.

The most annoying thing I see people doing is filling the bowl with crackers till it makes a chili/cracker paste.

Mmmmmm........I do love white chili. We make it about once every couple months.

This recipe has taken 2nd place in company-wide chili cook-offs twice. Not a national competition, but the company I work for employs about 8,000 people and there were quite a few entries both times. It's a bit untraditional, but man is it good stuff.

2 lb ground beef - whatever you prefer
2 large onions diced
1 can kidney beans
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 8oz can beef broth
1 8oz can french cut green beans, drained
Chili powder to taste
Cumin to taste
Salt to taste
Basil to taste, dry

Saute the onions in olive oil until tender, add ground beef until cooked. Add the rest of the ingredience and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for several hours.

Serve with any of the following: grated cheese, minced onion, sour cream, tabasco - or some other hot sauce, rice, or pasta, or just plain. Rice, cheese, onions, and tabasco are my preferences, but I mix it up from time to time. The wife doesn't like chili very spicy, that's where the tabasco comes in for me.

My opinion is, if you like beans/no beans, meat/no meat, chili powder/fresh chilis, etc... and what you've made tastes good, just shut up and eat it. I've eaten many different styles of chili and have enjoyed most that I've tried. The recipe above is how I prefer to make and eat my chili.

I like my chili with a small amount of beans, a mix of cubed and ground beef and some dark beer like a stout or brown ale. Those of you adding cinnamon and clove to your chili have peaked my curiosity and I'm going to have to try adding a touch of that as well.

How do you guys thicken your chili? I think chili has to be the right consistency and I think masa is the best way to achieve it.

How do you guys thicken your chili? I think chili has to be the right consistency and I think masa is the best way to achieve it.

Corn starch? I doubt my wife's recipe has that, or flour, but I guess I could check. In fact, I will post her whole recipe here. It's fairly traditional (no lamb or corn), but it also is a great recipe, based on contest.

kaconga said:

I use masa as well.

The ground chili's and cooked down onions give it body. You can pile it high in the bowl and stick the spoon in like a flag at a 45* angle.

I usually just let mine simmer until its reduced a bit and the flavors are concentrated. But I like a bit of liquid in mine and not necessarily really thick, like thicker than a soup but thinner than a stew. Kind of a brown gravy consistency is what I usually go for.

Back