Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What yeast? I used wy3724 and it finishes very tart. Same with wl565 I believe.

Belle Saison and 3711 mixed. This is definitely not a yeast tartness. Probably something in my siphon line since I am anal about sanitation. Plus I already drank one keg out of the same batch and it was totally different- a classic, tasty saison.

worthogg said:
Belle Saison and 3711 mixed. This is definitely not a yeast tartness. Probably something in my siphon line since I am anal about sanitation. Plus I already drank one keg out of the same batch and it was totally different- a classic, tasty saison.

Well if it tastes good and doesn't make you sick... ;-). I was surprised how tart the 3724 came out but it's good. But yeah, 3711 and belle shouldn't be tart.

I am moving mine upstairs tonight to put it in mid 70's temps for the next two weeks. Curious - will I be able to harvest the yeast from this with it being in the fermentor for a month, half which is in the mid 70's?

Can't wait till the end of the month when this is on tap!

I am moving mine upstairs tonight to put it in mid 70's temps for the next two weeks. Curious - will I be able to harvest the yeast from this with it being in the fermentor for a month, half which is in the mid 70's?

Can't wait till the end of the month when this is on tap!

I have harvested mine with no issues from the higher temps. had a batch get into the upper 90s with a different saison yeast, that yeast was none the worse for wear.

I do typically build a big honkin starter, and split it into four vials then build a second starter from one vial and bank the other three. I do this for each generation of yeast after washing the cake....

Keeps me in earlier generations of a given strain longer before I scrap it due to the risk of mutations.

Brewing this today using Valley Malt Organic Pilsner.

Also changing up the hop schedule (going a little hoppier) as follows, converted for 5gal:
.5oz Sorachi Ace @FWH
.5oz Motueka @30
.5 oz Motueka @15
.5 oz each Motueka/Sorachi Ace @5
.5 oz each Motueka/Nelson Sauvin @0

Bottled the 3711 side of this split last night. I also racked the Ommegang yeast version onto some rhubarb and blueberries, and some of the 3711 cake to try to dry it out some more.

Bottled the 3711 side of this split last night. I also racked the Ommegang yeast version onto some rhubarb and blueberries, and some of the 3711 cake to try to dry it out some more.

Dang, blueberry rhubarb saison.....

If only I were on your coast, I would pester you to swing by for a tasting of that one, just the thought makes me mouth water!

Alas Chicago is a wee bit out of the way to just "pop over"

Brewed this up with NZ Manuka honey (couldn't find orange blossom) and FWH with Nelson Sauvin instead of Sorachi Ace.
Gotta say the early samples weren't too promising(dry dry dry and strong manuka taste) but cracked my first early bottle tonight and its pretty decent.
:mug:

Dang, blueberry rhubarb saison.....

If only I were on your coast, I would pester you to swing by for a tasting of that one, just the thought makes me mouth water!

Alas Chicago is a wee bit out of the way to just "pop over"

Well, I'll wait and see if it's any good first, but I could always send you a 'sample'. ;)

Definitely appreciate the great recipe and have brewed variations of it a few times now. Great base to play with.

Brewed this a couple of days ago using styrian goldings and belma cause I needed to use them up and that was what this recipe was created for initially anyway.

What have you guys done to raise the temp? I was thinking of putting in my garage or on my back porch.

Consistent temp Important though. I use swamp cooler with aquarium heater.

What have you guys done to raise the temp? I was thinking of putting in my garage or on my back porch.

I brewed this and let it ferment in my fermentation chamber for the first few days then moved it to the top of the chamber to free rise in temp. (In phoenix the inside temp at that time was 85, outside temps were close to 118)

I have also brewed it and let it ferment in the garage where it was about 100+ degrees at the time.

I think anywhere that the temp is somewhat stable would be fine as long as its not exposed to direct sun (skunking)

A porch may not be good if temp is 85 in the day, 50 at night.... Too big a temp swing.

fumanbrew said:

I tape a heating pad to it. It's cheap and fairly effective at hitting the nice80 degree mark

How long are you all letting this condition before drinking?

I haven't bottled any aside from off the keg, but I typically go a few weeks in the keg prior to tapping, of the bottles I filled from the tap, I have tried a few at the year mark, it was wonderful with thanksgiving dinner, everyone enjoyed it immensely.

Brewed this last Saturday, fermenting at 75F, and she's still chugging along at about a bubble every 1.5-2 secs. Jeez. Last time I did it at 68, but I believe it took just as long, but I was totally missing out on spicy flavors from it.

This time around, I upped the pepper addition to half an ounce, and also added half an ounce of lemon peel/zest.

Brewed this last Saturday, fermenting at 75F, and she's still chugging along at about a bubble every 1.5-2 secs. Jeez. Last time I did it at 68, but I believe it took just as long, but I was totally missing out on spicy flavors from it.

This time around, I upped the pepper addition to half an ounce, and also added half an ounce of lemon peel/zest.

Keep us updated on the final product, I always interested in the tweaks people make to my recipe! :tank:

OK, all done, missed my OG by miles, odd because my effeciency is usually really good but it came out at 1.052

Anyway here is a little photo diary of my day

kit ready

2013-08-18133419_zps90ae0ceb.jpg

ingredients ready

2013-08-18133510_zpse6ed0ee8.jpg

mash temp after 1 hour, pretty damn stable

2013-08-18144622_zpse7d2a363.jpg

FWH

2013-08-18155748_zpsddd65010.jpg

a good rolling boil

2013-08-18163550_zps4caf20a3.jpg

and finally lovely cooled aerated wort awaiting pitching

2013-08-18183042_zps30d79741.jpg

I will update in a few weeks.

hmmmm 24 hours after pitching the smack pack there is a very gentle action, I was expecting something pretty aggressive from other peoples post.

What were you guys experiences after 24 hours?

Did you use a starter? With starter mine took off in 3 hours, strong for 4 days of 68 deg F, and still slowly bubbling even after 2 more weeks in low 70s.

hmmmm 24 hours after pitching the smack pack there is a very gentle action, I was expecting something pretty aggressive from other peoples post.

What were you guys experiences after 24 hours?

I have been everywhere between near dead, a bloop every few minutes, to full on howitzer blasts on D-day type fermentation, (hardly any foam to full on plug an airlock krausen.)

Well since azscoob called me out on his Reapers Mild thread as needing to just brew up his Cottage Saison since I complained of the warmth and keeping ferment temps down, here is a link to my 3 gallon Cottage Saison that I had already brewed up on August 4th!! I was ahead of you azscoob this time!
Anyways, I'm looking forward to get this into my keg (3 gallon kegs) soon and enjoying this wonderful beer!
The one difference I had in my recipe is the use of Belle Saison dry yeast, after talking to the LHBS guy- I know, I know, one should always brew the original exactly first then make changes, but it sounded that this yeast was pretty mild on the ester front (which I love) and less finicky on finishing out. Sure enough, I had 1.002 in about 4 days.
Thanks for all the info / recipes azscoob!

Did you use a starter? With starter mine took off in 3 hours, strong for 4 days of 68 deg F, and still slowly bubbling even after 2 more weeks in low 70s.

nah I smacked the pack, left it 3 hours to expand and pitched it.

I have been everywhere between near dead, a bloop every few minutes, to full on howitzer blasts on D-day type fermentation, (hardly any foam to full on plug an airlock krausen.)

OK, thanks for the info. I am a blip about every 7 or 8 seconds and plenty of Krausen, I think part of it is that I am in a bucket not a carboy so there is plenty of headspace in there. I think if I was in a carboy it may appear a lot more violent. Smells great though.

Yea you'll be fine. Also consider checking for leaks on the lid seal. If you have a slow leak it's possible the airlock activity you witness is much lower than the true CO2 output. A dead give away is after the krausen clears if your airlock simply drops and doesn't stay in the up position because there's not enough pressure to hold it up.

I dunno at around 40 hours now and it has slowed to over 20 seconds. I'm not convinced that smack pack yeast was as good as it should have been, might pitch another I reckon because Krausen is thin and ferment is slow. Definitely no leaks in this bucket, used it loads and just emptied it of IPA the day before brewing this without any hitch.

Honestly you're fine. At 40hrs primary ferm is probably halway over. Dont rely on the airlock. Take a gravity measurement. If its very close to OG then maybe you can repitch. I doubt that's going to be the case. Even a less than perfect smack pack will do ya fine. If there is less viable yeast, they may get stressed during primary fermentation and release more funky esters. In thia beers case, its not a Bad thing.

Honestly you're fine. At 40hrs primary ferm is probably halway over. Dont rely on the airlock. Take a gravity measurement. If its very close to OG then maybe you can repitch. I doubt that's going to be the case. Even a less than perfect smack pack will do ya fine. If there is less viable yeast, they may get stressed during primary fermentation and release more funky esters. In thia beers case, its not a Bad thing.

I completely agree with this.

:D

I'm still not convinced, this fermentation just hasn't seemed right, It has just never got going properly. I will take a reading when I get back from work but it seems to me like there is no way it has eaten through everything yet.

I took a sample of mine today, and while it's delicious and has more yeast spice to it @76F fermentation (vs 68), that damn lemon and pepper addition have ZERO affect on flavor, I'm convinced.

It's incredibly frustrating, as I love some lemon pepper saison, but just can't seem to get it. I added .5oz of ground black pepper, and .5oz of lemon peel to it @ 5mins left.

I took a sample of mine today, and while it's delicious and has more yeast spice to it @76F fermentation (vs 68), that damn lemon and pepper addition have ZERO affect on flavor, I'm convinced.

It's incredibly frustrating, as I love some lemon pepper saison, but just can't seem to get it. I added .5oz of ground black pepper, and .5oz of lemon peel to it @ 5mins left.

I always do adjunct additions at flameout to preserve flavor. Try shaving some lemon peel, soaking it in a little vodka (with pepper if you would like) and adding it to the fermenter. I've never done it so I can't suggest quantities but I bet it gets you the most flavor.

Not sure how it equates to weight, but we added 1.5 Tbsp of fresh ground pepper @ 5 min to our first brew of this (no lemon peel tho). It ended up being overly peppery, like chewing on peppercorns, but not in a completely bad way...

It's been bottled for about 4 months now and it's starting to mellow out and is much more balanced now. I've actually left out the pepper addition completely from the subsequent versions, just personal preference.

I did about medium grind, and 1.5 Tbsp equated to about .28oz, so I upped it to .5oz.

Next time I may try to use white peppercorns, as they pack much more of a punch.

I brewed this exactly to the original recipe and I get no pepper at all. It is still a fabulous brew and I got many rave reviews, but I was personally hoping for that pepper to work with the Sorachi Ace. Thanks for the great recipe!

I brewed this exactly to the original recipe and I get no pepper at all. It is still a fabulous brew and I got many rave reviews, but I was personally hoping for that pepper to work with the Sorachi Ace. Thanks for the great recipe!

Did you use store bought ground pepper ot did you grind your own? I used fresh ground black pepper and the pepper definitely comes through! Its still young but very tasty!

Did you use store bought ground pepper ot did you grind your own? I used fresh ground black pepper and the pepper definitely comes through! Its still young but very tasty!

+1
I bought peppercorns and fresh ground them this year and the pepper pops almost too much

Back