Airlock troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnathebrewer

Reaction score
When I was putting on the airlock making some cider the cork didn't fit into the bottle completely so I just taped it down. Will this still work?

When I was putting on the airlock making some cider the cork didn't fit into the bottle completely so I just taped it down. Will this still work?

Maybe. You need an airtight seal with the bung and carboy neck. You may try placing bung inside a piece of plastic wrap that you pull tight as you seat it, or food grade petroleum or glycerin will usually do the trick. If it is one of the rubber/silicone bungs placing it in heated water for a few minutes does wonders.

I had a lot of troubles in the beginning using rubber stoppers. No matter how much I dried them off, the star-san sanitizer film always made them pop out...so I taped them down with electrical tape.

I've since switched to Universal Stoppers and they stay put every time. They come in a variety of sizes from 15 gallon demijohns all the way down to 1 gallon jugs.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/medium-universal-carboy-bung-for-better-bottle-drilled.html

Sanitize some foil and fit it loosely over the neck but tight enough so it doesn't blow off. Airlocks are overrated.;) I would not sweat the contamination issue this time of year.

Back