Anyone brew under a canopy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenghali

Reaction score
Just moved and my only cheap option for brewing outside is a pop-up canopy. I was just wondering if anyone else does this, I was worried about steam melting the top etc.

I have brewed many times under a canopy in the rain and have never had any problems. Wind can be a problem if your canopy is not secured. Go for it!

I brew out in the wind and rain in Washington. I've not had any issues yet. I just boil under the overhang from my roof.

I've helped out at brew events where pretty much everyone was under pop-ups while running propane rigs. No big deal.

I have noticed there are really good pop-ups and really crappy ones.
Choose wisely...

Cheers!

What type of canopy are you talking about? I thought about trying to pick up a cheap picnic table umbrella for this purpose in the event of rain or snow.

What type of canopy are you talking about? I thought about trying to pick up a cheap picnic table umbrella for this purpose in the event of rain or snow.

A pretty cheap pop-up, "tail-gating" canopy with some stakes. I just realized I have also seen this done at brewing events, should have picked my brain a little harder. Thanks for the replies.

i brew under one of those garden style pogoda canopy.

mine has a little copula that allows heat to rise up thru the center of the canopy.

it would be hell for me to brew in the open. too many tree dropping leaves,
byrd $hit and only knows what.

keeps the sun off me too.

and i use the hook hanging from the frame for my pulley to lift the bag out of the pot.

i love my pogoda!

GD:mug:

I cater regularly and the 10'x10' tents are pretty inexpensive for what you get. Mine came with 3 sides that button on and provide wind protection. This is a very important feature which will save you time and propane. You won't have any issues running propane under it but don't expect it to hold up under heavy or steady rain or snow. The rain will start to collect in spots and stretch out the top. Snow will destroy it if heavy enough...I have experienced both. Stakes are included to keep it grounded in the wind. If it's really gusty or you are on a hard surface you want some concrete blocks to keep it anchored. I've seen them get picked up suddenly by the wind with folks scrambling to hold them down...not safe with boiling liquids and fire about.

Used a EZ UP many times for outside brewing in washington state. Building a awning on my Cave as we speak. But it worked great because it will go higher than most. Great quality but more money than a cheap $89 dollar one at wally world.

Back