Thinking about buying a BGE, is pricing really fixed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jukas

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I decided I want to bite the bullet and get a BGE and found that a dealer is literally two minutes from my house. I popped in the other day to price out a large bge. They offered my a large bge and nest for $999.99 before tax. When I asked if that was the best they could do they told me pricing was fixed by the manufacture and they couldn't sell it for less.

Now I'm skeptical as I know mfgs routinely prevent advertising below a set price point and this place is known for being extremely expensive. The next set of dealers are bit of a drive, and the one who advertises on craigslist the best prices is 2hrs south and wont quote a price over the phone.

Is this legitimately likely the best price I'll find?

That seems like a pretty good price, I looked at them a while back and the cheapest deal I could find was around 1200 for the egg and nest. Not dissing the BGE at all but the PG500 from cookshack is one awesome grill and smoker for a few hundred more and will do all the BGE will do and then some. Just look into it if you haven't already, that's all I'm saying.

i think that is a pretty fair price - close to what I paid.

not sure if BGE sets prices or not. My friend picked up a medium BGE with nest at Costco for around $600 and change. I thought that was a hell of a bargain and I almost bought one to go with my large BGE.

Good luck. They are a fantastic cooker. Can't believe some of the food I pull off that thing.

Just beware - there a lot of upgrades for it that will be tempting! My favorites so far are the Digi Q controller and new lower grate (that allows better airflow).

Years back I worked for a place that sold them and we would work deals and bundle stuff to make the sale. Not sure if anything has changed since then. I recently got a Green Mountain Pellet grill and one place quoted 150 more than the other. Pretty sure it is just a matter of shopping for the best deal. Good luck!

I don't believe that BGE fixes the price per se, just that there is not much motivation for dealers to drop the list price. I live in a major metro area of ~2m people and there are only two dealers servicing it. Needless to say, the price is pretty much fixed around here.

I paid basically what you were quoted. Not a steal, but not a burn either. I believe the BGE is worth every penny of the price. I fricken love mine. Gets used at least every other day if not more. Amortize the cost over a couple of decades of almost daily use and it is likely the best deal around even at list...

I have gone through metal grills like kleenex due to the wet climate. They all rust cheap or pricey. The Egg just keeps on going and looks like new (except inside lol).

Buy that sucker and enjoy it. You only live once. Make sure you get a platesetter and a replacement gasket (I like nomex) and you will be good to go...

Have you looked into Broil King Keg smoker/grills yet? A little cheaper...works just as good...and made from solid steel...no breaking if an accident happens...plus it just looks cool..i love mine

My local BGE dealer said the price was fixed by the BGE company. But he also said *wink wink* he'd give me a deal. So, I guess it depends on the dealer.

I grill a lot. I bought a Weber Performer, which I absolutely love, but I sorta wish I had the BGE.

to be clear:

when a dealer says: "the price is set by the mfg" they are referring to "minimum advertised price" not minimum "sales" price. It is perfectly legal for to protect the image and reputation of your product by setting a minimum advertised price. It is not legal to set or control the actual sales price.

Depends on the dealer. I got my large with nest, side tables, plate setter, the grate and ash tools, two bags of charcoal, and the pizza stone for 900 out the door. Atlantic appliance in Wilmington nc. That was five years ago too.

Have you looked into Broil King Keg smoker/grills yet? A little cheaper...works just as good...and made from solid steel...no breaking if an accident happens...plus it just looks cool..i love mine

damn - i just watched some videos on that and read some info. what a sweet smoker/grill.

I would have had to think twice if I would have known about it before I bought my BGE.

It has great features - I like the 2 level grate with swivel action! Bottle openers on the side are a plus as well. It already has a rolling base included. Damn fine unit. I wonder if BBQ Guru has an attachment for it? That is one thing that seriously makes my overnight smokes a breeze. I can't imagine doing pork shoulders or briskets without it.

Not knocking the BGE, but I was able to find a "Large Avocado Kamodo" (that's not ripping off their name at all, is it?) at Menards, which is a local big box home improvement store in the Midwest. Same construction, far as I could tell, and the same insides. I was able to find it on clearance at the end of the year for $300, although I was "stalking" it in the store for 3 months prior. The thought of wheeling it behind a stack of doors came to mind when it was the last one.... Cooks and smokes well, and was a perfect addition to the outdoor kitchen I built over the last 2 years. Really wanted the BGE, but it was hard to justify the price. We won't speak of how much money I have "justified" for brewing....okay? Good luck!

Latest posts

Back