how best to utilize a glycol chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefleck

Reaction score
I've got a chance to get a glycol chiller on the cheep. Anyone out here using one on a homebrew scale? I don't have any specs yet but it was used on a 5bbl system and has a new pump.

i've got a single tier 3keg system.

My thoughts are:

1. pipe it to run through my plate chiller for post boil
2. run coil wraps for fermentation temp control
3. build a serving box and build coils to keep serving temp for corney kegs

other suggestions? those are just my first thought at it

Also, any good info out there about controls needed for each apparatus? Will a great deal on a chiller make me poor buying needed accessories like solenoid valves and thermostats?

I picked one up at auction recently. I'm thinking about doing option 1, use it with my plate chiller.

My thought was to plump the glycol chiller to an copper immersion chiller. Then use the immersion chiller to pre-chill a 55 gal drum of water to 35F. I would then use the 35F water to cool my plate chiller.

I don't like the idea of running glycol directly through my plate chiller. Since I remove it and clean it after every batch, I want to avoid spilling glycol everywhere.

I've got a chance to get a glycol chiller on the cheep. Anyone out here using one on a homebrew scale?
My set-up uses a glycol chiller with a 30 gallon reservoir.
Currently it can handle 3 fermenters and the wort chiller

My thoughts are:

1. pipe it to run through my plate chiller for post boil
I do the same thing with two counterflow chillers

2. run coil wraps for fermentation temp control
My cooling coils are inside conicals

Also, any good info out there about controls needed for each apparatus?
Temperature controller required for each unit you are cooling, type depends on your requirements
Will a great deal on a chiller make me poor buying needed accessories like solenoid valves and thermostats?
No;)
One valve and temp sensor required per cooling zone and automatic pump bypass when all cooling zones are off.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

In commercial brewing when glycol is used for chilling wort, 2 plate chillers are used. The chill water is chilled by glycol in the first chiller.

In commercial brewing when glycol is used for chilling wort, 2 plate chillers are used. The chill water is chilled by glycol in the first chiller.

Why? In case of a leak between plates? Do they then have a closed circulation of distilled water and a dedicated pump?

They have a closed loop to save on water. No need for it to be distilled.
They use a dedicated pump for the glycol.

Why? In case of a leak between plates? Do they then have a closed circulation of distilled water and a dedicated pump?

the glycol is food-safe anyway, its only to split the heat load between two sources, instead of dumping 100% of it into the glycol and making the compressor deal with it.

regular water comes in to HEX#1 at say 60*; its chilled down to 35-40* by running 20* glycol thru it; the 40* water is then fed into HEX#2 and used to chill the 200* wort more efficiently than you could if you were using 60* water.

most of the heat load is placed into the regular water loop, instead of all getting dumped directly into the glycol system (which would both make the chiller work harder and cause a glycol temp spike/fluctuation).

the glycol is food-safe anyway, its only to split the heat load between two sources, instead of dumping 100% of it into the glycol and making the compressor deal with it.

regular water comes in to HEX#1 at say 60*; its chilled down to 35-40* by running 20* glycol thru it; the 40* water is then fed into HEX#2 and used to chill the 200* wort more efficiently than you could if you were using 60* water.

most of the heat load is placed into the regular water loop, instead of all getting dumped directly into the glycol system (which would both make the chiller work harder and cause a glycol temp spike/fluctuation).

I guess that makes sense. Can you run a water loop to minimize waste water or do you really need the differential ground supply temp vs. post wort cooling water.

Latest posts

Back