Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, that sir is impressive! I can't say I've ever played real pinball, but it looks fun.

Man, electric isnt cheap....

$200 to run 30A/240V GFCI to the garage
$160 for my controller guts (PID, switches, SSR, etc)
$40 for my enclosure

So.... I think my budget is shot. But everything is on order... I tend to shotgun big purchases so it doesnt hurt as much =) Kinda like a bandaid.... rip it off fast!

Man, electric isnt cheap....

$200 to run 30A/240V GFCI to the garage
$160 for my controller guts (PID, switches, SSR, etc)
$40 for my enclosure

So.... I think my budget is shot. But everything is on order... I tend to shotgun big purchases so it doesnt hurt as much =) Kinda like a bandaid.... rip it off fast!

It sure isn't, but you are going to really enjoy it, and the subsequent upgrades! :D

If it makes you feel any better my budget is shot too. New pot is ordered and the hardware to get it going. Plus two motors to make my HLT stir paddle. It will be great because those are most of the big upgrade we will need for a long time, or until we buy a brewing license! haha. But right now it is a bit tight on the budget.

Haha, I'll have to throw a summer party for ya guys! Maybe we plan it around the next buy pickup, do pickup in the morning at TwoGunz and then that afternoon have everyone come over for beers, BBQ, and pinball!

Here is a recent picture of my gameroom: http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...2573386237_21600820_31983070_1649906453_n.jpg

Currently have 14 pins, 1 pool table, 1 shuffle bowler, and 1 MAME machine in the basement. Then have a project pin upstairs and another one stored at my parents house too.

THAT'S your basement?! It looks like an arcade. I am insanely jealous.

I feel like this is one of those hobbies that is destined for my future. Actually, it seems like most people make a progression through beer brewing, wood working, arcade setup, vintage cars... I'm still on the first though, luckily, until I make more money.

THAT'S your basement?! It looks like an arcade. I am insanely jealous.

I feel like this is one of those hobbies that is destined for my future. Actually, it seems like most people make a progression through beer brewing, wood working, arcade setup, vintage cars... I'm still on the first though, luckily, until I make more money.

yeah was talking with Jeff about prices on those pinball machines. Looks like I won't be getting one anytime soon! Would love to have one, but if my current spending tries my wife's patience... so will a sweet pinball machine.

Jeff, do you have any machines for sale? My fiancé and I are buying a new house and I would love to add a couple pins to my larger game room. Do you have any arcade cabinets in your collection?

Jeff, do you have any machines for sale? My fiancé and I are buying a new house and I would love to add a couple pins to my larger game room. Do you have any arcade cabinets in your collection?

I dont myself, but I might know of someone who is selling. PM me if there is a certain machine you are looking for and/or price range you are willing to spend. Right now I have all pins =)

Not really looking for one certain machine. I have never owned pinball machines. I do however have about a dozen video arcade machines. Just looking for one or 2 pins to round out my collection. I wouldn't mind spending 1 - 2k if I can find a machine I like that is operational and doesn't need any work!

I wouldn't mind spending 1 - 2k if I can find a machine I like that is operational and doesn't need any work!

Help this brotha out and grab me one while you are at it since you don't mind! :D

Started working on the new 25G HLT last night! Found out that it is supposed to arrive at my house today, man that was a fast shipment. Not too long before I will have to straddle the pot and give it hell with my drill :D

Got the 240v run out to the garage completed last night too. Ran cidah's pot at full bore to test it out. No issues. Gonna do a test this weekend to see who can boil 10gal faster. Propane or electric.

Got the 240v run out to the garage completed last night too. Ran cidah's pot at full bore to test it out. No issues. Gonna do a test this weekend to see who can boil 10gal faster. Propane or electric.

Great to hear!

I am curious about heat times as well - though since they aren't the exact same pot dimensions, etc. it won't be a clear 100% comparison. Still looking forward to it.

Now you will have to start tossing water in there to get your volume stick calibrated! haha. That is something I need to do as well since I only hashed in a few marks for the boil kettle at 12 and 13G. I think I need to make nicer ones for each pit, still thinking of how I can do that though...

Not that it helps folks in the Syracuse area much, but my LHBS is offering 50# sacks of Briess 2-row for $40.

Although I just bought 2 sacks in the latest group buy, I'm buying some, just for general principal of supporting them when they do deals like this.

I did (almost done) a double batch today, 5 gallons of suck-my-lemon ale and 5 gallons of Lake Front IPA. Between the two of them, I used over 18# of 2-row (plus a bunch of other stuff), so I figure it will get used up reasonably quickly. I really wish I had ordered a sack of pilsen in the last buy, as I don't have much left and want to brew something like Victory Prima Pils or Southern Tier Euro-Trash Pilsner.

Hey Gang!

Long time no see.

I think I will be jumping in on this buy. Been a while since I picked up any. Been a while since I was able to brew regularly.

I got a question though. Do things like GP‐RICE Rice Hulls count toward the 5 bag minimum buy in? It is a 50# bag.

I already got 3 or 4 bags I am ready to add to the order.

Hey Gang!

Long time no see.

I think I will be jumping in on this buy. Been a while since I picked up any. Been a while since I was able to brew regularly.

I got a question though. Do things like GP‐RICE Rice Hulls count toward the 5 bag minimum buy in? It is a 50# bag.

I already got 3 or 4 bags I am ready to add to the order.

Yeah, that's fine. Its really like a 5 "item" minimum.

OK so get this, there are two items in the catalog with the item code GP-RICE.

One is Flaked Rice for $0.84/lbs and the other is Rice Hulls at $0.43/lbs.

Has anyone ordered rice hulls from here before?

OK so get this, there are two items in the catalog with the item code GP-RICE.

One is Flaked Rice for $0.84/lbs and the other is Rice Hulls at $0.43/lbs.

Has anyone ordered rice hulls from here before?

Last buy we just put down "GP-RICE (HULLS)" for the hulls. I added it to the full bag section if you want any.

wow a busy weekend for sure. Got more work done on the brewing rig:

photo_14_1.JPG

240V is finished, HLT is finished and HERMs coil installed, new rig plumbing added, and got a free sink basin from my buddy!

wow a busy weekend for sure. Got more work done on the brewing rig:

photo_14_1.JPG

240V is finished, HLT is finished and HERMs coil installed, new rig plumbing added, and got a free sink basin from my buddy!

Cranking it out!

I was out of town so I missed out on progress.... until I got home! Was able to get the new HLT pot built, installed ball valve and probe as well and wet tested it on my panel - all signs were a go!

Haha yeah I've been trying. The few guys I know that brew are extract brewers. But we'll see what happens in the coming months.

All,

New catalog was released on 3-13-2012. Looked through it quickly and looks like slight price increases on the following:
GW Organic Malts

Everything else looks to be the same.

Later this week I'll try to update the spreadsheet with changes.

Latest posts

Back