Chocolate Rye vs Chocolate Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirty_martini

Reaction score
Ive been wanting to do a rye stout for a while. Of course, Im planning on replacing some of the base malt with rye malt, but I was also thinking of replacing the chocolate malt I generally use with chocolate rye. My one concern is that generally the chocolate malt is somewhere between 350-500L. Chocolate rye is seems is closer to 250-275L.That leads me to think the roast levels are milder and I dont want to end up with a beer thats more toasty than roasty (rhyme unintended).

I dont know the flavor of chocolate rye and how it compares so if anyone can give a good description that would be fantastic.

Why not taste some or steep a small amount to taste the differences?
Or just add some more chocolate eye to make up for te difference. But you'll get more rye flavor I would think.

Why not taste some or steep a small amount to taste the differences?
Or just add some more chocolate eye to make up for te difference. But you'll get more rye flavor I would think.

i cant yet because my LHBS doesnt have the chocolate rye...i would have to order it. Just trying to get and idea so I can adjust my recipe accordingly

I get more of a milk chocolate flavor from chocolate rye. Some of the beers iv'e had with regular chocolate malt have more of a dark chocolate flavor. I've actually got a rye stout fermenting right now. It's got half a pound of chocolate rye in it. I fermented it with Wyeast 3522. It's a little odd, but pretty darn tasty.

Chocolate Rye is one of my new most favorite grains. You are right in the the roast is much more mild. But the flavor is also more intense. To me, you get a lot more smoother chocolate flavor and a lot less roasted bitterness. And you can add a lot.

In my regular chocolate rye stout, which was around 1.066 OG, I think I added 1.5# chocolate Rye and .75# 500lovi roasted barley. It turned out amazing.

Give it a try you won't be disappointed.
Kyle

How did this turn out? The milk chocolate flavor sounds very appealing, but the toasty flavor worries me. I want no toasty flavor, I recently made two beers with brown malt and debitterized black and I find the toasty profile they give off putting.

Back