Starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bewbzout

Reaction score
So i am new to brewing (3rd batch) and this is my first time doing a starter. I was planning on doing 4 cups water to 1 cup DME but when siphoning the wort into my gallon jug the hose came out of the jug and i lost about 1 1/2 cups of wort :drunk:. Will i still be ok with only 2 1/2 cups of wort? Thanks

You were siphoning a quart of wort into a jug? Personally I would have just used a funnel but it's all good. Sounds like your down to 20 oz. What yeast are you using for the starter? 20 oz would be fine for a 5 gallon 1.040 ale fermented at 68 degrees.

Im using wyeast smack pack 1056 american ale. Going to brew NB's dead ringer IPA. I might not have lost as much as i thought but more then likely about a cup. Also i had the siphon tube right there but ya i should have went to the garage for my funnel.

Well i figure that pitching the smack pack directly is good enough so creating a starter even though not ideal should be a bonus. If anyone objects please say so. Thanks for the help

I object that pitching a smack pack directly is good enough for most beers (unless very small). I'd still say at this point just go with it, it will be fine. I have to say though that proper pitching rates are extremely important to the flavor profile of the beer.

Yes I would add the extra wort if you've got the time and you don't mind the effort.

I've done both, pitching a smack pack with, and without a starter. I've found that if the smack pack swells quickly, you don't need a starter. If it takes several hours (like overnight) a starter helps a lot. If it swells quickly, you have healthy yeast. If it takes overnight, the yeast is struggling, and could use the help of a starter.

Again, it doesn't hurt to add more wort to the starter after it's already started. In fact, if your yeast is weak, it might even help get to the proper pitching rate.

When I stepped up my lager starter I did 2L fully fermed,decanted, 2L more fully termed,decanted,then pitched. After both decants the yeast was crazy within hours. So the whole pitch at high krausen thing isn't necessary IMHO

When truly stepping up you do as tango suggests. In your situation, I wouldn't decant and I would just add it now.

Back