Charleston, SC brewpubs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
The g/f and I will be in her former hometown of Charleston, SC later this week for a long weekend. We want to put a brewpub on our list of things to do, if possible. So far, we have Tommy Condon's, which I know isn't a brewpub. Any place that we are missing?

I was there in Feb.

Downtown there's the Charleston Brew Works...just OK...nothing special.

Two blocks from the market there's another brewery that we didn't make it to. Can't remember the name. Nice place. I was there over 10 years ago...

Another great place for Draft beers and angus burgers....Poe's Tavern on Sullivan's Island. It has like 100 on tap, plus tons of bottles. The atmosphere and scenery is great, but you g/f make catch you checking out the scenery so be careful.:mug:

I was there in March and I had a post like this... got pretty much no response. So I'll tell you this.... Tommy Condon's is OK but nothing to write home about. The food at the Southend Brewery and Smokehouse was great... the beer was good as well. I would recommend that, it's on Easy Bay in the Historic District.

http://www.southendbrewery.com/

Other than that there are pubs up and down Easy Bay that seemed to be a little more "real" than Tommy Condon's. I can't remember the name of the place but a few blocks up from Southend was a bar that had a few micros on tap.

ryser2k said:
I was there in March and I had a post like this... got pretty much no response. So I'll tell you this.... Tommy Condon's is OK but nothing to write home about. The food at the Southend Brewery and Smokehouse was great... the beer was good as well. I would recommend that, it's on Easy Bay in the Historic District.

http://www.southendbrewery.com/

Other than that there are pubs up and down Easy Bay that seemed to be a little more "real" than Tommy Condon's. I can't remember the name of the place but a few blocks up from Southend was a bar that had a few micros on tap.
Southend Brewery...that's the one I was referring to...;)

Thanks everyone! Now I've got some ideas to work with. She has a full plate planned for us, but we should be able to work one of these in.

Well, we're back and we dropped a wad of cash at Southend Brewery last Saturday! Good food, good service and decent beer. The g/f started off with an eight-beer sampler and we all had a taste. The Oatmeal Stout and Juniper IPA seasonal were the tops, IMHO, followed by the Pale Ale. The Red and Brown had a slight bit of diacetyl just in the finish. But the g/f really liked the red and thought it added something to the flavor, b/c it wasn't overpowering. She ended up ordering a couple more over the course of the afternoon.

We had some Palmetto Ambers at Henry's across from the market and at The Brick, which reminded me of a corner bar in Chicago with it's dark wood decor and nice barback. Those were tasty, I'd like to try some of their other flavors, but all anyone had on tap was the amber. Had a Yuengling lager just to say I did!

We tried to go to Charleston Brew Works on Sunday, but they were closed for a private party. We finished Sunday at Tommy Condon's with more Palmetto Ambers and some good She-Crab Soup.

We're looking forward to going back again as soon as we can.

Yeah it's such a cool town... I personally would probably not have gone there unless I had a reason to, but now that I've been there I'd gladly go back again.

Back