Cider finished fermenting after about 5 days - is that too quick?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vexx64

Reaction score
I brewed a demijohn of 4:4:1 of sweet crisp:golden delicious:bramley

Added wine yeast as directed, fermentation started the next day, then about 5 days later it had stopped, and there is 1-2 inches of yeast? at the bottom.

Now my question: will it be ok to syphon of to another container and drink straight away or has something gone wrong on account of the seemingly fast fermentation compared to when i have used the kits that come in tins.

Thanks

My current cider has gone to 1.002 in 5 days also. Much lower than I wanted it to go. I plan on racking it into my bottling bucket and adjust the SG with sugar and honey. I plan on splitting the batch in half. I would like to bring it up to around 1.015 then bottle it, and check it in a few days to see how the carbonation is coming. Then I am going to use the stove top pasturization method to stop the yeast.

I think 5 days is too soon to drink the cider. Wait a couple weeks and watch it clear out, unless you like drinking yeast. I don't like drinking yeast and I think that it tastes a hundred times better after it clears, especially if you are drinking it dry and still.

Back