Brew in a bag question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a big enough, strong enough bag, yes. I wouldn't try an IIPA, but anything up to 1.060 can be done.

Thanks guys, I just got a blonde ale kit in and going o be trying this over the weekend

If you have a pulley system and a decent bag you'll be fine. Otherwise it all depends on how much soaked grain your arms can handle.

I've done 23# of grain in my biab setup. No pulleys, no ladders, no hooks, just my scrawny arms and a clean bin next to the kettle. I lift the bag out and twist it as tight as I can for as long as I can hold it then it goes into the bin where I squeeze the rest out. In the case of that beer, I didn't squeeze a ton out since it would be the 2nd runnings for a partigyle. The weight aspect of biab is often way overstated.

My bag is the voille material that I double stitched on two sides, no signs of seam issues and I've done a dozen or so brews in the bag.

I use a collander under my bag for support when it's draining. There are no small children at my house, but I would still feel bad about the profanities flying around if my bag broke. :D

Oh if you order the kit from one of the vendors here, ask for them to run them through the mill twice if they are doing your milling. I haven't ordered from all of them but the many I have ordered from do a nice job when they double run it for me.

Latest posts

Back