Anyone spontaneously ferment in New Jersey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottD13

Reaction score
I had about 2.5 gallons of extra wort after brewing so I decided, after my buddy suggested, to try a wild yeast experiment. I ran off the remainder of the wort into my extra brew kettle and let it sit outside uncovered for about 18 hours. Too bad it was already cooled. Earlier today I racked it into a carboy and put an airlock on it.

Now I'm not sure what to do next. I'm hoping to grow wild yeast not so much the bugs so that why I'm locking it up with the airlock instead of a stopper and wooden dowel.

I plan on leaving it for a few months to see what happens and will report as I go along. Has anyone ever tried this? What was your result, any good, any bad?

Here's a shot of the wort from earlier today. To bad you can't see the gnats floating in it..:drunk:

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg

The og was 1.064. I plan on testing the gravity in 1 month and will keep everyone updated.

I've always wondered if you couldn't just take a bit of a healthy sourdough starter and pitch it into your wort and get a good fermentation going that way.

They say that spontaneous ferments have the flavor of the area where they were done.

Are you sure you want to drink something that tastes like New Jersey?

I kid! I kid! :D

They say that spontaneous ferments have the flavor of the area where they were done.

Are you sure you want to drink something that tastes like New Jersey?

I kid! I kid! :D

I always wanted to know what crime tasted like,,,:rockin::cross: I joke. Sounds like a cool experiment. There's a guy in my club who said he mashed grains once and left it for a month on his porch. Then sparged it and brewed beer with it. He hopped it very aggressively and added brown sugar to it. He fermented it and brought a bottle to a meeting. It was weird and very rough. 2 years later though, it's become quite good.

Well there are a few white floatie things on top today. Not sure if it's mold or the beginning of a pellicle. In the next day or so when it grows I'll take a pic.

I didn't pitch any yeast so whatever landed in it when it sat out overnight has taken over. It's been just over three weeks and the pellicle has just begun to take shape.

Hope so. Broke my hydrometer the night I brewed and just haven't gotten to get a new one.

I would try later on in the fall once the temps drop a bit. From what I've heard the warmer months have more acetobacter present, probably why it smells vinegary. I think the cooler months; late Oct, Nov till spring are better.

Sounds like you made some interesting salad dressing though.

Well after some thought and some sampling I'm dumping this. It's vinegar, and it horrible. I'll keep trying and report back in the future.

I need the carboy for a quick time dependent brew. I do have 2 1 gallon pet bottles.....I could always transfer and save some of it....

No where near enough time to know if this is bad or not. You need to let it sit at least 9 months minimum

I once had a case of horrible BO at Laguardia but, I think that was from a long flight and no shower.

+1 you're gonna need to let this one sit for a long while before you can pass judgement.

Alright, all this pressure. ;)
I'll save what I can but I need the carboy so I'll have to transfer it to my 1gal pet jugs.

Real quick update that's long over due.

After racking out of my carboy (necessity) the beer truly ramped up. It krausened within 12 hours of the rack and kept going for another 24 hours. It now has a layer of yeast on the bottom! I took a very small sample and tasted it and well it's interesting....it smells of lactic acid and vinegar but also of sawdust (best way to describe it...sort of barny sort of fresh wood). :rockin:

I have some dry malt extract and may try to brew up a very small batch this weekend and ferment with just the wild yeast and no bugs to get a "control beer".

抽中帕加尼(钛合金),第二次翻牌,第四张牌中 中兽牙大脚怪,第一次翻牌,第二张牌中 晚上,第二次翻牌,第三张牌中布迦迪 第一次翻牌,200点中法拉利 第一次翻牌,200点中勒芒标志908,大奖蝙蝠在第一张牌 当然了,幻影,rsq运动版这种高档车,抽中的人极少,盛大也不会让你花个几百点就轻易中了,我观察了一下,大家中的也就是这么几个车: 08法拉利,布加迪靓蓝,蝙蝠俯冲,法拉利,雷诺,毁灭,兽牙大脚怪,帕加尼,宾利欧陆飞驰,宾利欧陆gt-墨绿. 抽奖:第一要会选牌,看牌,猜牌,第二看运气,这两点很重要,还需要耐心!有付出就有回报,一样的道理,试试就有机会,不去尝试没机会.其实,抽奖,运气,耐心,你抽得多了,既有经验了,熟能生巧,就这么简单,心态放平 盛大的系统,估计每天有个上限,从00:00-24:00,系统可能会规定出多少大奖,超过这个数字,可能就没了,当然了,这是我的推论。 在游戏里面,有2种人会中车:1,经常抽奖的人,他花费多,前面的n次可能不中,但后面一定会中个车。2,偶尔抽奖的人,花费不多,也没抱着非要中车的心态,只是为了好玩,中1-2个车正常。 大家都想在百宝箱中好车,以下是个人观点: 百宝箱抽车分析,仅供参考,如果大家有更好的方法给我留言。 盛大这个抽车系统有问题,比如说有些时候在点击牌的的时候会停顿个几秒钟才会打开。我想这个系统肯定把好车给转移了。 第一 抽车的时候 要网络卡的时候抽 越卡越好 第二 抽车的时候 抽一次换一个频道再抽 第三 抽车的时候 一定要有耐心 第四 抽车的时候 每一次都抽第二张 第五 抽车的时候 不要一个人单独抽 请朋友在旁边一起抽 。 第六 抽车的时候 要感觉好的时候再抽,有钱的的人每天最好抽五次,没钱的每天抽一次,千万不要抽多。厢式车价格东风厢式车厢式车配件冷藏车价格东风冷藏车
Say what now?

Real quick update that's long over due.

After racking out of my carboy (necessity) the beer truly ramped up. It krausened within 12 hours of the rack and kept going for another 24 hours. It now has a layer of yeast on the bottom! I took a very small sample and tasted it and well it's interesting....it smells of lactic acid and vinegar but also of sawdust (best way to describe it...sort of barny sort of fresh wood). :rockin:

I have some dry malt extract and may try to brew up a very small batch this weekend and ferment with just the wild yeast and no bugs to get a "control beer".

So I can't brew the control beer right now as a true pellicel has formed and I don't want to break through to get the yeast.

where in nj are you doing this? there are so many areas of nj that eveyone passes judgement way too fast. i'm def curious how this works out,but am reluctant to do so where i live in middlesex county. i've been playing with roselare to keep it safe-

if the beerr is too sour/vinegary just blend to make it more subtle. or u could possibly boil the beer to kill all the bug? def need more time, though!!

Back