Banana Bread Dunkelweizen Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicoleBrewer

Reaction score
So this past weekend I brewed up a beer im excited to try. The recipe is:

3 lbs. German Wheat
2 lbs. Muntons Crystal 60L
2 lbs. Weyermann Light Munich
1 lb. Weyermann Pilsner
1 lb. Weyermann CaraAmber
8 oz. Briess Chocolate Wheat
8 oz. Flaked Oats

1/2 oz. Crystal (60 minute boil)
1 oz. Saaz (10 minute boil)

Wyeast Weihenstephan

I mashed it at 155 for 1 hour, and im fermenting between 70 and 75 to bring out more banana flavor from the yeast. Any comments or ideas on if itll come out ok? Should I use banana extract before bottling, or will the fermentation temp and yeast impart enough banana flavor?

The guy at my LHBS gave me the CaraAmber saying it was just another name for the biscuit malt

Curious how this came out.. Was drinking a chocolate stout and then had a banana.. then all of a sudden a voice in my head said.. you know. Bananas are mainly sugar, it should be fermentable.. and you like the flavor of chocolate and banana.. and you like chocolate stouts and....

Well my mind drifted from there to this thread.

I just bottled it last night. I tried a sip of it, and although it tastes delicious the yeast didn't give off any banana flavor. At least none that I could detect. I'm not sure what happened, because I fermented it at the higher end of the temp spectrum.

My LHBS suggested I didn't use real bananas because the yeast would give off that flavor, but next time I'll use either bananas or banana extract. Oh well, it'll still be delicious!

Here'a a recipe I'm going to try this week for a dunkel

5 lbs. Weyermann Dark Wheat malt
3.5 lbs. German Pilsner malt
1 lbs. German Dark Munich malt
0.5 lbs. Weyermann Caramunich II
0.25 lbs. Special B

1 oz Tettnang (60 min)

3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

I just bottled it last night. I tried a sip of it, and although it tastes delicious the yeast didn't give off any banana flavor. At least none that I could detect. I'm not sure what happened, because I fermented it at the higher end of the temp spectrum.

My LHBS suggested I didn't use real bananas because the yeast would give off that flavor, but next time I'll use either bananas or banana extract. Oh well, it'll still be delicious!

Awesome..

I would think real bananas would give a more authentic flavor... and if the high temp fermenting gave a bit more so be it.

Think about it..

Fresh Banana Bread with REAL Bananas.. YUMMY.. :ban:

With Banana Extract.. OK..

I will say the batch of Milk Stout I did that I mistakenly boiled a whole bag of fresh real vanilla in tastes a lot smoother and better than Ports I have had that have used extracts. The extra vanilla really brought out the flavor of the Chocolate malts..

I'm thinking for S&Gs, throwing in some Bananas with my Vanilla in the next Milk Stout.. Chocolate, Vanilla and Bananas.. that sounds good. The added sugars should also boost the ABV too :)

Maybe carbonation will help bring it our more.
I did a hefe last year and I kept the fermenter cool because I wanted the phenolic flavor. After I got it bottled and it sat for a while the banana came through anyway.

Why couldn't you add banana extract now?

If you're not getting banana, you need to manipulate your yeast differently.

Under pitching and increasing Ferm temp will both produce more banana/clove aroma/taste.

I didn't add banana extract because when I bottled I didn't have any on hand and it's not an easy thing to find around here. Originally I wanted to used real bananas but was talked out of it at LHBS

image-1576439457.jpg

It's done and carbed, although more of a tease watching my husband drink it since I still can't! Baby is almost here! Got to have a sip though and it's good!

Back