First time kegging...question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beckerage

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have been brewing for a bit now and have just recently purchased my first keg. I have an Oktoberfest fermenting now, almost done.

Now usually I would transfer to bottles and prime it and let it condition for 2-3 weeks.

With a keg I will be force carbing now. Do I transfer it to the keg and let it sit in there for a bit (a week or so), then chill it and carb it and wait another 1-2 weeks or do I go straight to keg, chill it and carb it and then let it sit for a couple weeks in the kegerator?

Thanks for any tips and your answers!

You can go to the keg and directly to cold chilling plus carbing at about 14-16 lbs. for a couple of week's. Then drop CO2 to about 8 lbs and enjoy.
I've been keg conditioning a lot more w/ very good results. Add priming sugar to your keg (I use 1 oz/gal), rack your beer , and seal keg with CO2. Let it sit a couple of weeks just like bottles. Cold crash then carb at 8 lbs & serve.

So, not planning to lager your Oktoberfest? You can carb during the last couple weeks of lagering but I don't know if you want to skip this step entirely.

So i kegged it today. Its chilling now. should i let it lager with no carb for a couple weeks or add the gas and continue to chill for a couple weeks?

Btw it turned out just as predicted. 1.044 og and ended at 1.010 or 1.012 or so.

You could put it on the gas now. I just wait until closer to the end of the lagering period so I won't be tempted to tap too early (very legit concern in my case :) ).

You can go to the keg and directly to cold chilling plus carbing at about 14-16 lbs. for a couple of week's. Then drop CO2 to about 8 lbs and enjoy.
I've been keg conditioning a lot more w/ very good results. Add priming sugar to your keg (I use 1 oz/gal), rack your beer , and seal keg with CO2. Let it sit a couple of weeks just like bottles. Cold crash then carb at 8 lbs & serve.

Huh? Why would you force carb AND add sugar?
Just carb it with Co2.

I think the bigger issue is you lose carb if you turn it down to dispense. Just leave it at that pressure to serve and get longer lines.

Had an out of town visitor come in. He wanted to try a home brew so I tapped it this evening. It turned out great!

He liked it as well. Good carbination, flavor and head.

Im going leave it be for myself another couple weeks but im glad it came out well.

Thanks for the tips all.

Latest posts

Back