liquid yeast 'smack' pack activators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brakeman_Brewing

Reaction score
so i got a liquid yeast pack for a brown ale kit i started and it was a wyeast 'smack' pack, where you break the pouch inside to release the activator.

well anyways i went to activate the yeast and i broke the package open when i 'smacked' it like it said. i lost a little bit of liquid from the pouch, i paniced and dumped the remaining yeast and activator into a ziplock bag i sealed it and low and behold the yeast actually started doin its thing.

i let it activate for about 2 hours and pitched it into my primary with the brew.

afterwards i now have 2 concerns.

#1. the ziplock bag wasnt sterlized when i poured the yeast in

#2. i lost a decent amount of liquid when the package popped

less than 24 hours later i have great action on the airlock

should i be worried about having a bad batch of beer on my hands?

wow, you managed to break the foil bag popping the inside bag?!

as long as it was a brand new, never before used ziploc bag...yer prolly ok since those are sealed when packaged at the factory there's a slim chance anything ever got in there.

haha yea dude i was trying to be gentle and do it the right way but i became a little frustrated and was a little forcefull, lol.

so minus the sanitation part of it, what about the bit of yeast that was lost? i assume it will just take some extra time to reproduce the yeast right?

If you had lost HALF of the yeast, that would have added about two hours to the growth stage.

mr_stimey said:
so i got a liquid yeast pack...i lost a little bit of liquid from the pouch...

mr_stimey said:
#2. i lost a decent amount of liquid when the package popped

Consistency, man, consistency!

Since you have airlock activity, I say you're gonna be fine. See it to the end, bottled/kegged, whatever. Just don't dump what is most likely perfectly good beer.

PseudoChef said:
Consistency, man, consistency!

Since you have airlock activity, I say you're gonna be fine. See it to the end, bottled/kegged, whatever. Just don't dump what is most likely perfectly good beer.

lol i like to be vague to make things difficult for you! JUST KIDDING

Back