Photos of Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liquidavalon

Reaction score
I am curious to see pictures of everyones cider either still fermenting or finished and in a glass.

If you are so inclined and proud of your cider...post a pic and show it off.

e1a086b8.jpg

Cider on the left, 3 weeks in the primary. Grape juice on the right. Both still bubbling

both cider, same basic recipe except I used different yeasts and the lighter one had oats added to impart mouth feel
cidercolor.jpg

last cider of 2011, about 1/2 leftovers of unknown variety of sour green apples, 1/2 elstar, with a little bit of crabapple. still carbing up but i sneak the occasional glass

cd1.jpg

cd2.jpg

cd3.jpg

apfelwein.jpg

my first attempt at fermenting any thing, apfelwein from last year.

Pic 1 - Starting on left:
3 gallons with no sugar added...wyeast 4766 (12/26)
3 gallons with 1 pound dextrose...nottingham ale yeast (1/7)
1 gallon sitting on 16 oz of blueberries and 1/2 cup of brown sugar...nottingham ale yeast (1/12)

Pic 2 - Storage in unfinished part of basement for cider and supplies

Pic 3 - Bar Storage

Batches.jpg

Storage.jpg

HB.jpg

Cheers!

One is from my first batch of the season. (almost gone now) and the second photo is something I'd never experienced before. It's a Graff Cider. I started with a California Common Lager Recipe and topped it up with 2 gallons of apple juice. (My "Steamed Apple") You can see what's left of the krausen after it fell and just below that are what I assume are hop seeds.

DSCN4957.jpg

DSCN4940.jpg

DSCN4025.jpg
This is my first ever fermentation. I guess not really cider but apfelwein. Fresh UV pasteurized mixed apples, light brown sugar and montrachet.

Pic 1 - Starting on left:
1. 3 gallons with no sugar added...wyeast 4766 (12/26)
2. 3 gallons with 1 pound dextrose...nottingham ale yeast (1/7)
3. 1 gallon sitting on 16 oz of blueberries and 1/2 cup of brown sugar...nottingham yeast (1/12)

Pic 2 - Storage in unfinished part of basement for cider and supplies

Pic 3 - Bar Storage

What's in the red one at the far left of pic 1, that wasn't mentioned?

Bet it's potent!

edit: this joke falls flat without quoted pictures, nuts!

What's in the red one at the far left of pic 1, that wasn't mentioned?

Bet it's potent!

edit: this joke falls flat without quoted pictures, nuts!

It probably is potent since it has been aging there for 15 years. :D

Batches.jpg

Here's what I have going on at home right now. 18 gallons currently. All in primary for another few days before going to secondary for a couple of weeks to mature and clear.

From left to right: Hi-Tan cider, Big Red Ida Red cider, Newtown Pippin & Keepsake cider, Juice base (for maple cider probably), and Albemarle cider which has keeved and I'm not sure what to do with right now.

P1010387.jpg

PhotoMay18102210PM.jpg

first pour from my first cider walmart juice and nottingham

PhotoMay2493151PM.jpg

2nd batch of cider in 2 gallon bucket walmart juice wine yeast

PhotoNov0811327PM.jpg

not very visible but its my 3rd cider batch started off roughly 30 lbs of pear from a pear cider

I'm gonna cheat because I haven't taken a picture of any of my draft-style ciders. But here's an apfelwein shot
1108111705.jpg

Award winning Cider.
5.25% ABV
Cold-Crashed at 1.014
Keg Carbed
Counter-Pressure Bottled.

CIMG1295.jpg

CIMG1297.jpg

Fermenting. (Safale-s04)
CIMG1275.jpg

Does every cider maker end up reading Annie Proulx's book when they start making cider?
I found it on my own by doing some searches at the library, wife bought it for Christmas, then the farmer I buy my cider from recommends it to me.

jkoegel said:
Does every cider maker end up reading Annie Proulx's book when they start making cider?
I found it on my own by doing some searches at the library, wife bought it for Christmas, then the farmer I buy my cider from recommends it to me.

I like ' Craft Cider Making ' by Andrew Lea too.

I just got my copy yesterday, it was a gift from my mother who saw it 50% off and thought I might be interested. That, along with Andrew Lea's book (which I should really buy) and Ben Watson's 'Cider, Hard and Sweet' seem to be the most commonly recommended guides to cidermaking.

Here's a couple of pics of what I'm having tonight. Oaked cider, along with some reading.

not really the place for this question but,,,,, oak chips? how much / how long. i'm going to have a go at a woody cider this autumn and want to have a good 11 months to mull it over

not really the place for this question but,,,,, oak chips? how much / how long. i'm going to have a go at a woody cider this autumn and want to have a good 11 months to mull it over

Added a medium toast oak spiral stick to primary for about 2 weeks. Came out WAY to oaky and bitter. After about 3 weeks in secondary it was practically not noticeable. Next time I will add the oak while in secondary, tasting often.

These are mine. The one in the glass is is a sparkling cider from December, the one in the bottle was pressed at the end of December, currently in the process of being conditioned, and the one in the 5L bottle is actually a perry. Since I don't quite like perry I thought I'd add some cinnamon. Now I also don't quite like cinnamon anymore. Too strong.

IMG_5547e.jpg

IMG_5627e.jpg

IMG_5629e.jpg

Here is my Cherry Hard Cider. For some reason it tastes like a Cherry Jolly Rancher.

The color shocked me as I used Oregon tart cherries at the end. My camera ups red for some reason.

ForumRunner_20120204_193042.jpg

My avatar has my double hard cider. Somewhere between an apfelwein and a cider, It's at 8.5% and has much more apple flavors than Edwort's original recipe.
avi.jpg

PS the lighting stinks, as I live in a windowless cave

just found this random pic from last autumn, this very fresh juice stratified immediately and dramatically, and the eventually capitulated, making itself into a delicious dry cider, bottled now and stashed away
this got me thinking, in a couple months the apple trees flower and the countdown starts again

IMG_8119.jpg

Back