Trying other's HB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorsemenRugby58

Reaction score
Recently I have been experimenting with my own home brews to make them better. I spent a lot of time/effort over the years diagnosing and correcting many flaws in my home brews. There is only one BIG frontier left for me (complete temperature control).

To my point. I have NEVER had anybody else's home brewed beer. After four years of home brewing (1 extract, 1 partial, 2 AG) I think it is time to try some. I have a LHBC (local home brew club), but I don't like 'clubs'. Competitions seem to be mail away. Do people ever do home brew trades? Would anybody care to donate 12oz of their gold for me to try?:mug:

EDIT: Also, what spawned this was a conversation in a home brew store with another guy that all-grain brewed (he seemed astonished to meet another person who AG'd). I don't like to try and hate on people, but whenever I prodded him to criticize his beer in any way, he couldn't think of anything wrong with it. Nobody makes perfect commercial quality brew at home, especially a guy who seemed to be winging it like this guy. So I guess I am a hater and that haterade sparked my interest to try others' brew.

I've met so many homebrewers through here over the years, and many of us get together to brew, or drink, or meet at brewpubs. A few of those are beer judges, but we try each others beers all the time. You may not be a fan of "clubs" but getting together with like minded folks is a great part of this hobby.

Not sharing your location makes it difficult to connect with local folks, so you might want to change that on your profile, and maybe starting a thread looking for fellow hbters to meet up at a local brewpub would be a way to go, then getting together to brew and share homebrews would be the next steps.

Some of my closest friends are those I met through here. If you want folks to share beer, I would encourage you to open up to those in your area.

Part of my resistance to my local club is age. Many of them are my father's age or 15+years older than me. I am from New Hampshire.

Part of my resistance to my local club is age. Many of them are my father's age or 15+years older than me. I am from New Hampshire.

So? I grew up hanging around with folks 15 years older than me, if you share a common passion for something, like beer, then you meet on the same level. Then you find out all the other cool things you might have in common.

But I never said you had to join a club if you don't want to, I suggested you try to hook up with folks from here.

Join your local brew club, or at least show up to a meeting before deciding whether or not you like "clubs" or not.

And forget about the age difference. I'm the young'un of my brew club at 25 as most of the guys are in their late 30's through 50's. If you all share a passion for something, it doesn't matter what age you are.

Nobody makes perfect commercial quality brew at home,

For most of the beer at my home brew club I would agree with you, but some of them are better than most commercial brews.

You really do need to go to a home brew meeting.

Yea, don't join the club, just go to a mtg or two. Not only will you get to taste some homebrew (good and bad), but you might meet some qualified judges who will teach you to really taste a beer. I was lost until I did that. (Thanks Nelson)

I just went to my first home brew club meeting last week. It was grat to talk to people about home brew and to have the chance to taste a number of brews of different styles made by different people. I had a great time and plan on becoming a member.

Yeah I probably will now. Seems like my best chance to try other people's home brew. Anybody here willing to do a mail trade?

Nobody makes perfect commercial quality brew at home...

For most of the beer at my home brew club I would agree with you, but some of them are better than most commercial brews.

You really do need to go to a home brew meeting.

Damn, beat me to it!

The founder of my club brews the only Belgians I've ever consistently enjoyed, I mean that, and that's saying A LOT. I've brewed a few batches that I can look someone in the eye and say were better than many commercial beers. And due mostly to freshness, many homebrewers can beat IPA's on the shelves.

Back