DFH Tweason Ale and Buckwheat Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstarner

Reaction score
So Dogfish Head is supposed to release their gluten free beer to distribution sometime this month or next. As a non-GF beer drinker I am a huge fan (spending part of my life in Southern DE certainly helped) of DFH and think it is a great move for them. My girlfriend who does have a gluten problem is even more excited than I am. What do you GF think of this release?

More to my point while reading about the beer it was mentioned that sorghum and buckwheat honey made up the fermentables (there were strawberries in there too but not sure what this contributed). The buckwheat honey supposedly added a barley like body that is the missing thing in most GF beers. Does anyone have any experience with using buckwheat honey and possibly a sorghum to honey ratio that worked well?

I recall seeing some discussion on this sometime ago, back when I was first trying to figure out the basic beermaking process. I haven't tried it yet since I haven't had the honey, and that buckwheat honey has a particular flavor to it. The mead makers say it gives things a barnyardy flavor, so I'd probably go light on the buckwheat honey.
(I have eaten buckwheat honey several times, and still have a 3 oz jar in my cupboard. I just haven't wanted to get a gallon or so for testing purposes yet.)

As a gluten free drinker I'm just excited that something else is on the market.

Hoping it makes it to Australia (although I'm not holding my breath).

In Australia I can access one brand easily, one slightly less and one barely at all. Although there are many out there in the US and UK.

I just saw that Sam Calagione is going to be on the Sunday Show this week, talking about gluten free brewing, and promoting the release of this beer. Should be an interesting listen.

As a gluten free drinker I'm just excited that something else is on the market.

Hoping it makes it to Australia (although I'm not holding my breath).

In Australia I can access one brand easily, one slightly less and one barely at all. Although there are many out there in the US and UK.

Looks like more than one australian is looking for this beer :)

We get some DFH beer at one BottleShop in WA hopefully this one shows up, they have had issues with some Beers from europe that where marked gluten free. As europeans has different standards For GF they had to pull them off the shelves.

I am looking cloning this recipe on a homeberew scale :)
:ban:

Looks like more than one australian is looking for this beer :)

We get some DFH beer at one BottleShop in WA hopefully this one shows up, they have had issues with some Beers from europe that where marked gluten free. As europeans has different standards For GF they had to pull them off the shelves.

I am looking cloning this recipe on a homeberew scale :)
:ban:

Hell yeah. One more person and we've got a club :)

As per number ten post in this thread
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/gluten-free-barley-beer-282898/

I think that's what they are doing wrong with testing in the uk. It can only better from here though.

I had no reaction from Wold top brewery's against the grain, but St Peter's gluten free beer gave me a terrible reaction. Both UK and noted gluten free.

Billabong Brewery in Perth are pretty good for their gluten free pale ale.

Back