SafALe-04, liquid Irish ale yeast or whitbred

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bferullo

Reaction score
So I am looking to do a DC stout. I originally only brewed with dry yeasts, then switched to liquid based off my LHBS's recommendation.

For a DC stout what would be the best yeast to use? I plan on incorporating vanilla beans, and blackberry puree also.

Never heard of a "DC" stout before... but, if you are planning on adding fruit and spices (vanilla) to the beer, you would probably want a clean fermenting yeast as to not muddle the spice/fruit flavors. I make a cherry dry stout with US-05 and that turns out great.

However, I would probably use the s-04 or whitbread yeast (same thing really) and ferment it on the cool side (65-68'). Wy1084 is a good yeast, though it can under attenuate and throw off significant esters.

So I am looking to do a DC stout. I originally only brewed with dry yeasts, then switched to liquid based off my LHBS's recommendation.

For a DC stout what would be the best yeast to use? I plan on incorporating vanilla beans, and blackberry puree also.
Why'd you switch from dry to liquid? I fear your LHBS might have recommended it because it makes more money that way. Mine suggests liquid yet I rarely use it.

As for your beer, I'm doing much the same thing next week (minus the blackberry) and going with s-04.

my vote is s04, it will help you get a clear beer and compact yeast cake, I only used liquid yeast when I am trying to get specialy yeast flavors like those found in Belgian dubbels or Witbiers. Plus s04 seems to be pretty well behaved yeast and finishes fast.

Back