Crystal Malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jet35a

Reaction score
I’ve been dreaming of my first all grain batch, browsing different recipes, as I gather the necessary equipment. I will stick with an ingredient kit for at least the first batch till I get a “feel” for the process.

In looking at the “Brewsmiths IPA” in the recipe files, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/brewsmiths-american-ipa-125822/, the Crystal Malts are labeled as 35L and 75L. Austin Homebrew Supply has their Crystal Malts labeled in increments of 10, i.e. 20L, 30L etc.

Do you round this up or down, leaning towards the character you favor ? Or just keep searching for the specified ingredients, Morebeer has a 75L but no 35L. Am I being to anal in following the recipe exactly?

On another subject…any Smuttynose IPA clone recipes?

Thanks

I'd say don't sweat it. Round one up and the next down (assuming there's two crystal's). As you mentioned, you can tell for the most part what you're getting. Also, unless the crystal is a huge part of the grist 5L here and there is not going to make a noticeable difference in flavor and if you've ever read anything about the color of beer, you shouldn't be too concerned about it either.

...not sure where you're shopping, but just wait until you have to start making hop substitutions - that's when it gets painful for me.

Back