Pouring Belgian's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watkinseric

Reaction score
When pouring a Belgian style beer with sediment at the bottom should I attempt to keep the sediment in the bottle or include it in my drinking glass?

Do it both ways and see which you like better.

For me personally, I leave the sediment for most Belgians.

Either way is fine for me. I think that wits it's traditional to stir it up and get some yeast flavor and some haze, but frankly, I don't see why you would want more haze. That just doesn't make sense to me. The haze is a result, not a cause. And I just don't think I can taste more yeast from doing that either.

The first time I drank a Belgian beer I drank it straight out of the bottle. So obviously you can't do worse than I did. Play around with the sediment and see what tastes the best.

I usually keep most of the sediment out of the glass, and swig the dregs straight out of the bottle. The yeast is good for you, but I don't always like yeasty beer.

I always leave it in the bottle. But that's generally a considerate gesture I make for those around me. Live yeast in my gut can produce some unpleasant (albeit satisfying) by-products.

I seem to like the sediment in the Belgian beer however the sediment in the Grolsch I recently brewed doesn't do it for me. I'll have to experiment with a few of the Belgians I have around. Thanks for the comments.

I was going to say, don't you mean in all of your homebrew as well? or are you a kegger? Because all bottle-conditioned beers have sediment.

I usually allow some yeast for paler styles but try to keep it out of anything past an oud bruin.

Back