Using WL530 for an Abby with an est OG of 1.055?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
Hello:

This is going to be my last extract before going all grain for a while. The question I have is this, I chose White Labs 530 for this extract kit at my LHB, which came with dry, so I was flying blind:

6lbs Canadian light Liquid Extract
1 lb corn sugar
1 lb Vienna Malt
1 lb CaraMunic Malt
2oz Hallertau 60 min
.5 oz kent Goldings thrown in as the fire is killed ( That's what his recipe calls for. I am going for at least 5 minutes as it is wrote up for a 3 gallon boil and I am doing a full boil. Your input on the hops would help too).

Estimated OG is 1.055 . I see on the White Labs site this WL530 is supposed to be good for high gravity stuff and has an average attenuation of 75%-80%. I don't mind a bit of alcoholic warmth, but is this strain going to be alright for this ale? I was really hoping for an authentic flavor.

Bill

I made a similar extract from Listermans earlier this year, their Abbey Ale kit (I see you are from Cincinnati) and used WLP530 yeast . OG was ~1.060 to start and finished off around 1.012. The beer came out fantastic and I harvested the yeast from that batch for my next belgian. The fermentation was vigorous and plugged up the airlock the second day. I rigged up a blowoff tube and it continued to ferment heavilly for 3 or 4 more days. Would recommend using a blowoff tube from the start. Great beer.

That's the kit I am doing. Good to meet you. I'll let you know how it turns out. I just bought the Phil's Lauter Tung from them and grains for a Kolsch, which was a no brainer on yeast since there is a vial labeled Kolsch.:D

Bill

Back